why does my cat think he needs to eat constantly?

My cat, Bob, won't let me sleep more than 3-4 hours a night because he wants to eat. I can't fill his bowl and let him eat a little at a time, because he will force himself to eat the whole thing and then throw it up. He's quite irritating. If you walk by the bowl or the cupboard where his food is kept he runs up like your going to feed him again, even though it has been only five or ten minutes since he ate. It's like he eats just to eat not to fill him up. Can you give me any ideas on how to change this behavior, besides the water bottle I keep handy??

Asked by Member 765272 on Nov 9th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

You don't say how old Bob is or what you are feeding him. If he's an older cat or losing weight take him to a vet for a check-up as he could have somethong like hyperthyroid or worms that is making him feel hungry all the time and needs treatment. If he's in good shape and not losing weight you should try feeding him a higher quality food as this will make him feel more satisfied. The food should have meat as its main product and be high protein/low carb so with limited ingredients like corn, rice etc. If he's already on that type of food your best bet is to get one of those electronic pet feeders that you can program to release a small amount of food every few hours.

Bob definitely has some issues, and if he's as needy as you say, squirtng him constantly with a water bottle will not only lose it's effect after a while,but obviously isn't solving your problem or his. Gradually changing him over to a higher quality food may help, and also maybe playing with him (laser pen lights are fun for you and him, just keep it away from his eyes. Cat feather poles are also fun.) Distract him from thinking about food all the time. I would definitely take him to the vet to make sure there are no health issues. Your vet has surely dealth with cats who are food-crazy and can suggest some ways to get his mind off food all the time!