Kenya

Why does my cat scratch on my door every time I try to go to sleep?

My cat, Kenya never lets me sleep. She either scratches my bedroom door or knocks on it with her body. She never does anything in the daytime, even if I try to get her to. If I'm NOT LUCKY, I stay up till 10, or even 12 because of her! She tries to go in to my bedroom but if I let her, she'll go onto my bed and if that happens, Don't bother. I won't get a wink of sleep.

Asked by Kenya on Nov 10th 2011 Tagged whyismycatsoactiveatnight in Scratching

Answers

It sounds like she doesn't like being locked away from you while you sleep. If she only gets in sometimes, then of course she is excited and wants attention or to play which will keep you awake. But if she was allowed in, she would eventually get used to the idea that this is when we sleep. Cats love to sleep and snuggle. Also try playing with her in the evening to tire her out before bedtime so she will be tired and ready to sleep when you do. I have 10 and aside from the occasional disturbance, they sleep with me or someplace in the room and do not bother me at night.

Allie, as usual, is right. When we moved last year, my cats were really freaked out. Previously, we had closed our bedroom door but when we moved, Izzie did the same thing Kenya did only with pitiful meows (I called it "singing opera") too. When we opened our door, if the weather was nice and the window was open, he'd spend a third of the night laying quietly on the windowsill, a third in bed with us (also quietly) and the last third on the loveseat in the room with his BFF, our dog, Cady. He and Lizzie run around like maniacs for the first few minutes after the house is quiet, but pretty soon he's in the bedroom. If you consistently let Kenya sleep with or near you, she'll calm down. It won't be that big a thrill any longer. Allie's advice to play with and love on her for a while b/f bed can also work, but not too crazy of playtime b/c you don't want to get her all worked up.