Why does my cat poop on the floor or rugs sometimes instead of the litter box?

Also my friend's cat poops in the bathtub instead of the litter box? Why? He has done this since she's had him.

Asked by Member 766069 on Mar 9th 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

It's possible your friend's cat was separated from his mother too young and never learned how to use the litter box. It's also possible he has some medical condition that caused him pain when he tried to use the box and now he's afraid of it. He could also not like the litter she uses, where the box is (if it's in a high-traffic area. Cats need privacy), or the actual box itself. There is a litter called "Cat attract" (Petsmart) that she might want to try. Also, cats use their poop as a way of saying "I was here!" If she has other cats or dogs, he may be marking his territory.

Bella

Dirty litterbox could be it!

Bella answered on 3/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer