why does my cat lick the sidewalk

My 5 month old female kitten licks the sidewalk just about every time I let her out. It 's the first thing she does then goes and plays. Is she needing minerals or "salt of the earth"? She is very healthy. She doesn't lick my skin so much for the saltyness, just the sickwalk.

Asked by Member 763680 on Nov 5th 2008 Tagged kittylickssidewalk in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Are you sure it's the sidewalk and not something on the sidewalk? I bet that some sort of food was spilled or dropped there at one point and the smell stuck around- which is why your cat is licking at the spot.

If your kitty is in the habit of licking things outside, please be careful WHERE she licks now that anti-freeze season is here. Cats and dogs LOVE the taste of anti-freeze and sometimes when it spills when we're putting it in our cars, we don't even notice.