Why does my cat hold his tail against his back like a squirrel?

He is about 7 months old, neutered, and is blind. (He had to have his eyes removed as a young kitten.) I know that normally when you pet a cat and they are happy, their tails will go straight up or in a question mark. Lynch will pull his tail so far back that it rests against his back, and just the tip curls out.. like a squirrel. Obviously it's not a serious concern, (I find it very cute) but I was just curious if anyone else has a cat that does this, or if it's a possibility that he does it because he is blind and has never seen another cat in order to learn proper kitty body language, so he does the best that he can?

Asked by Member 1015580 on Dec 14th 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

God bless you for giving this sweet baby a good home. Cats learn a lot from other cats and litter mates. But I have the suspicion that your cat does this as more of a balance thing than anything else. He may feel comforted by the feel of his tail on his back--sort of like a white cane, if you will, that visually impaired people use. Cats' tails are very expressive! My daughter's cat, Josie, vibrates her tail when she's happy or excited to see you. It's so comical to see her do this!