Emma

Why does my cat get upset when i sing?

When I sing around the house, I almost always get a bad reaction from my cat. She will meow very loudly, and then thrust towards me aggressively, and most of the time she will nip or scratch me. This is quite frustrating, because I do enjoy singing, and I feel as if I need to be on guard if I do.

Asked by Emma on Oct 3rd 2012 in Aggression

Answers

I will avoid making any comments on your singing voice ;-) But I can tell you that when I sneeze, my Izzie freaks out. I can only imagine that he thinks I'm yelling at him or in trouble. Cats have extremely sensitive ears. Your singing may actually hurt her ears or cause unpleasant sensations. Biting and clawing should NOT be tolerated, however, under any circumstances. When she becomes aggressive, shoot a spray of water from a spray bottle over her head and say "NO!" And, you may want to confine your singing to the shower or tub with the door closed and she can't "get at" you.