Nicky & Button

Why does my cat drool all the time

He drools from his mouth It is yucky when he stand over me at night in bed lol
It worrys me Could his teeth be bad???

Asked by Nicky & Button on Apr 8th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Mozza (forever loved)

Not sure which kitty you're asking about but the profile page said he (they?) was 15 yrs old. So yes, older cats often can have bad teeth &/or infected gums that need dental care.

I'm curious if your boy is also making biscuits with his paws while he drools? Cats can get so happy when they do this that they start drooling. Every cat I've had always made a bit more saliva when they made biscuits, varying from a barely noticeable drop by their nose to dripping on the bed or me. So that part is normal.

But is his breath bad? Does his saliva smell foul? And if you gently lift his lips back, are his gums inflamed with dirty food build up? If so, he definitely needs to have his teeth cleaned.

Surprisingly, some cats have clean teeth & sweet breath well into their old age. Mozza does but it may be due to his regular treat of raw green beans. They keep his teeth clean. And some just never get dirty teeth or red gums. Maybe your kitty just drools from sheer joy & love. Hope so!

Mozza (forever loved) answered on 4/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Spike

Yes, take an immediate look at his gums and the inside of his mouth. Cats with inflammation there often drool. Is he eating okay? Does he have bad breath? If anything seems out of order, take him to the vet right away, because he could be in a lot of discomfort.

But if he doesn't seem to be having any mouth problems, then maybe he's just a sloppy kisser. (There are humans like that, too. Gross, but you put up with it if you love them.)

And, gosh darn it, I wish I had a cat that was so affectionate that it "makes biscuits" and drools (well, I want the affection, not the drooling). I acquired a pack of Maine Coons, since they are supposed to be so affectionate, and so far they are, for the most part, pretty aloof. They still haven't figured out that they are supposed to sleep with their Meowmy. Forget about biscuits and drooling. Oh, well, give them time.

Spike answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer