Spot

Why does my cat drink my water?

Well, When spot thinks i'm asleep she drinks out of the water in my cups and glasses next to my bed HELP!! By the way if this doesn't make sense I just woke up.

Asked by Spot on Aug 6th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I also keep water for myself next to my bed. I don't have a table there and I keep it on the floor. I got myself one of those water bottles with the straw and a cover (Rubbermaid). This stops the animals from drinking out of them. Make sure Spot has plenty of clean water in her bowl and you might even want to put a bowl on the floor for her at night.

Boris

Ah, the allure of forbidden water! How sweet its taste.

It can be something as simple as you not changing the water in his bowl often enough. Or it can be a kitty convinced that your water might somehow taste different.

Izzie had a pretty good suggestion with that rubbermaid bottle.

P.S.: At least she just drinks out of your glass. In this house, we are water glass and bowl tippers, so mom never leaves any glass unattended, and got us a fountain so I wouldn't splash water all over creation.

Boris answered on 8/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

frankie

hahaha :) my cats have historically done the same thing!! sometimes even knocking MY water cup over and drenching the floor. i could never convince mikey or squeaky to stop, even though i put TWO cups of water on the nightstand (my own harder for them to reach). i find now that frankie, the other culprit (mikey & squeaky both passed away this year :( ) will drink out of HIS water cup as long as it is a) fresh as mine and b) closest to the bed. they are too lazy to go all the way downstairs or even down as far as the floor to drink their own water dishes if we're in bed. they even have a real nice running fountain downstairs, which i find cats just love. good luck! i always figure that they have cleaner mouths than we do and how many germs can possibly fall off their little lightning speed tongues? at least that's what i tell myself.

frankie answered on 8/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nadia

I don't want to alarm you, but want to make you aware that cats drinking excessively can be a sign of illness -- diabetes or other things. Cats do not have a strong thirst drive and when fed a species appropriate diet (low carb canned or raw) they get most of their water from their food.
I would keep an eye on your cats water drinking and also keep an eye on the litter box. Large urine clumps are also a sign of diabetes. This may not be the case, but it is something to be aware of.
I also recommend not feeding dry food to cats - quality canned or raw is best. Dr. Lisa Pierson has a lot of good info about nutrition, food and much more at www.catinfo.org
Best wishes Spot...

Nadia answered on 8/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer