Armani

Why does my cat chew things like a dog?

My 3 year old cat has recently started chewing things as if he were a puppy. Mainly my shoes and any foam product, i.e. couch cushions, that he can sink his teeth into! So far he has destroyed two shoes. He does it whether I am here or not. In fact he tried for a third shoe just a moment ago with me in the same room! I have checked his teeth and gums for signs of irritation, redness or inflammation but there is none. When he was little he chewed on things a bit but that stopped around 6 months. Any idea why he might be doing this, or how to stop him? I've tried the bitter apple sprays but they don't appear to bother him.

Asked by Armani on Sep 2nd 2010 Tagged chewing, teeth, gums, oddbehaviour in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Armani is one handsome cat! Izzie (who was also born outside--under my neighbor's deck) chews up paper. But you may want to have Armani checked by a vet. You say in his profile that he likes to "lick everything". It's possible that he has a condition known as "pica", which humans can also have. People and cats who have this condition will eat non-food items. Needless to say, it can make them very ill and even cause obstructions in their digestive tract. There is medication for this. He may also be bored. Try amping up his playtimes with you and your family. Get some new, interesting toys and play with him. Needless to say, put your shoes in the closet and close the door if he is particular to them. Btw, I had a Golden Retriever who actually seemed to enjoy the taste of Bitter Apple, kind of like some people like to suck on lemons!!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Sep 2nd.

Answers

Mischa

I agree if it's not a lack of something in his diet then I think it could be Pica! My crazy cat eats clothing! she loves socks the most!!! It's so annoying. I have had to put clothes away and blankets that are jersey material. I have to be careful when I buy plants too because she will eat those. My vet told me I could try giving her puppy teething bones..the kind that are edible. Maybe try a soft puppy edible Nylabone. I also put my cat on a raw food diet which has helped but you have to ask your vet if that's ok for your cat. For now i would say put things away because ultimately that's what has worked for me but I hope your cat is just going through a phase!

Mischa answered on 9/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sydney

my cat chews on plastic...she licks it and then she chews like a dog. one time i saw her trying to chew the courner of the computer desk. i have to hide everything thats plastic. so she wont destroy it. i hope your kitty doesnt have PICA. but he did stop for 6 months. maybe its attention. as soon as i give syndey attention she stops. See i dont know though cause i noticed when she chews on plastic and when i take it away she runs off and attacks misty. and then she runs around the house like a nut. lol with cats i dont know. lol their personalities are so hard to read sometimes!!

Sydney answered on 9/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer