why does my cat attack my dog?Cats already been to vet vet says shes fine.fights seem to come out of nowhere.and not all

My cat attacks my dog out of nowhere.cats been to Vet ,Vet says shes fine.We've had her for a while 4 yrs.And we've had Jake for 7 It dosent happen all the time.She gets all puffed up and growls and hisses and wont let him alone.Our dog just backs up and gets all nervous,and she(the cat) goes after him.This has happened twice in the past 7 months.Its very scary .We separate them for a while.Then it takes a while but she seems to be ok and all lovey dovey rubbing all over him again (Poor Jakey he dosent know whats going on) and nether do we.I think we might medicate Syd (the demon cat) any other suggestions?Oh buy the way Syd is spayed.

Asked by Member 984579 on Apr 30th 2010 Tagged howdoigetmycattostopattackingmydog in Aggression

Answers

It's difficult to say, without actually seeing what happens between Jake and Syd, what's going on. If Jake stares at Syd, she may consider it a challenge and go after him. If he goes outside and rolls in "stuff", she may not like the way he smells. You CAN discipline Syd, of couse not by hitting her, but if you get that canned air stuff we use to clean our computers, you can blast a puff over her head when you see her about to attack. Don't get her in the face, though. She'll learn that when she messes with Jake, she gets corrected. If Syd is usually a calm, loving kitty, you really don't need to medicate her. Medication is usually reserved for those cats who just can't calm down and have been known to attack everything. Good luck!

Marxy Poop

As far as discipline goes I suggest you get a spray bottle and fill it with plain old water. We have several around our house and when Marxsy or Groucho or even one of the dogs starts to miss behave we squirt them and correct them. It works great and I don't have to worry about aim. If I spray thier face or butt it still is effective and plain old water is in no way harmful to my kitty or dog or anything else in my home.

Marxy Poop answered on 6/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

lucy

do they play or is it fighting or is there blood involved1!!! my dog plays with my cat all the time no one ever gets hurt but you have a serious problem and the dog must be pretty confused?!?

lucy answered on 2/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer