Howie (1999-2014)

Why does my breath stink?

Meowmy can't stand my bad breath! The mean doctor guy looked in my mouth, and said my teeth and gums are fine, and says I just have fishy breath, and to try special treats.

Meowmy has tried the treats (greenies), and they work some, but she hates my kisses.

My other 2 housemates have fine breath.

So I was wondering, is my breath bad because I hardly ever meow, so the smell festers in my closed mouth?

Any suggestions to helping with my halitosis, besides more treats?

Asked by Howie (1999-2014) on Feb 18th 2009 Tagged badbreath in Health & Wellness

Answers

Kira

Did the doctor only check Howie's teeth? Some bad breath is caused by tummy troubles. Maybe whatever you are feeding him is not agreeing with him. And before Kira's recent surgery while she had a polyp in her inner ear and chronic ear and sinus infections because of the polyp her breath was really stinky from the pus from the infections. But that's all better now. My kitties don't meow much at all either and they don't have bad breath because of it. So I don't think that would be what's causing Howie's troubles.

Kira answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Random

Teeth brushing can help with bad breath. If you never brushed your teeth your breath would smell pretty bad too. If you already brush your cat's teeth please ignore this post, otherwise... Cats tend to dislike teeth brushing but it's good for their health. Periodontal disease in pets can cause other problems like heart disease. Here is a link with instructions for getting started:

www.thecatsite.com

or

www.weather.com

Christina, mom of Random

Random answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlie

I wanted to add one more thing to what the other posters have said. since your cat is 9yrs old, it is considered geriatric. Your vet should do bloodwork to check Howie's kidney and liver function because they can start to fail or function abnormally as they get older. This often causes foul, stinky breath. Just a thought to look into.

Charlie answered on 2/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

More Questions in This Category