Why does my 9 year old cat refuse to use her litter box?

My cat refuses to use her litter box, and I'm not sure what to do to make her stop. I took her to the vet and they did blood work and all that but it came back fine. She will sometimes poop in it, but will not urinate in it. I really don't want to get rid of her because I've had her since she was a kitten but if this behavior continues, she leaves me no choice. Any suggestions?! Please help!

Asked by Member 1118015 on Jun 28th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Has anything changed? New brand of litter? New box? Did you move the box? If so, she doesn't like the change. Is the box cleaned frequently (at least once a day)? Try changing the litter once a week and washing the box with a mild soap. Do you have enough boxes - ideally you should have one box per cat + one. So, if you have 2 cats you really should have 3 boxes. Is the box in a quiet, private location? Laundry rooms and high traffic areas often don't make good litterbox locations as the cat may not like the noise and lack of privacy. Use a good enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle to clean the areas she's soiled. If she can still smell it, she'll be tempted to repeat the crime. Dr. Elsey's also makes a cat attract litter and litter additive for cats with litterbox issues. www.preciouscat.com PetSmart carries Dr. Elsey's products, and some vets carry the litter additive.