Roo

why does mama cat keep moving her babies

I'm a new mama and I'm very restless and keep trying to move my babies and it's stressing out my people. I have been given a spot behind the couch with nice fluffy pillows for me and my babies to lay on. But I would rather be under a bed where it's cold. Why am I doing this and what can my people do to make me more comfortable so I will leave my babies in one spot? They have been very good about leaving us alone until I try to move my babies.

Asked by Roo on Feb 18th 2009 Tagged mama, kittens, nursing in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats will usually move their kittens at least once.
You can try putting a blanket under the bed and move all the kittens there. She may feel that the "cave-like" atmosphere there is a safer and more protected place. Get a small space heater (on low) and aim it towards the bed (but NOT near any bedding) to add some heat under the bed. The basket may be getting too small and the kittens need more room to move around. She also may be in heat. Cats can go into heat again as early as 7-14 days after giving birth (some say as soon as 48 hours). If this was an accidental pregnancy, there is no need to tell you that you MUST get your kitty spayed now. Please don't give her kittens away for "free" as collectors and other unscrupulous people will sell them to labs for research and to dog-fighting rings to be used as bait. If you need help with adoption screenings, call a local rescue or shelter for tips on how to 'read' people.

Ha ha ha! Exactly the same thing happened to me last fall when Leila had her kittens. She had a nice birthing box all prepared, but nooo, she chose the area under the bed, where the floor was cold. The day she had her kittens, I inspected them with a flashlight (they were all up against the far wall) and counted seven. The next day, there were only four. I thought I was hallucinating. Finally I found that she'd moved three of the kittens to a hiding place between some boxes. I don't know whether she planned to take all the kittens there, or whether she planned to commute from place to place, but it gave me a start. I moved the three kittens back to their mother. From that time on, she kept all her kittens with her, but still stayed under the bed. I've read that a heating pad set on low with a blanket around it can be used; if it gets too hot, they'll just move off it. However, all I did was give Leila a blanket, and she didn't even want that. And the kittens grew up fine!

If the mother feels the kittens are in danger or if there is too much light, she may become anxious. Placing a sheet or cloth over most of the top of the box to obscure much of the light may resolve the problem. An enclosed box is also a solution. Some cats, especially first-time mothers, are more anxious than others. Such cats may attempt to hide their young, even from her owner. Moving from place to place may continue and will endanger the kittens if they are placed in a cold or drafty location. Cats with this behavior should be caged in a secluded area. This type of mother has also been known to kill her kittens as a means of "protecting" them from danger.

www.sniksnak.com