Khaleesi

Why does he lick me?

I am just a little kitten, and I love to wrestle! However, my older brother never wrestles even when I bite him and kick him....he just licks me! My older sister who is 5 just like my brother Jinx wrestles with me fine and has no issue throwing down with me....but Jinx just grabs me around my neck with his paws and licks me all over. It doesn't seem to matter how rough I am with him he will never do anything more than cover me in kisses! I get so frustrated sometimes that my mom needs to break us up because I start yelling at the top of my lungs at him! Why does he do this?

Asked by Khaleesi on Sep 30th 2012 Tagged playing, wrestle, kitten, affection in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats, like people, all have different "purr-sonalities". Your big brother may see you as a delicate little flower and he knows if he really "threw down" with you, he might hurt you. Older cats, especially males, often act like this with little ones. Your sister, on the other hand, is a kitty who obviously likes to play. As you get older, and bigger, mom may have to keep an eye on Jinx as the "throwdowns" might get a little intense. Don't blame your bro for not wanting to play. It would be worse if instead of licking you he tried to attack you.