Bijou

Why does Bijou HATE my boyfriend?!

I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years I got Bijou the start of our 2 year together at first Bijou loved him and always played with my bf but now if my bf even gets near Bijou she will attack him and claw at him. We are planning on moving in together sometime this winter or spring and I don't know how we can live together if my bf and Bijou can't get along its painfully clear that I love Bijou more than my bf lol and we have actually gotten into arguments because Bijou will attack my bf and I will blame my bf for not leaving her alone and freaking her out. I want them to get along what can I do to get Bijou to like him? The only thing I can think of that might be the problem is that one day my bf was over and stepped on Bijou's tail pretty hard and since then she never liked him could that be the problem??

Asked by Bijou on Jul 12th 2010 Tagged training, love, boyfriend, hate, kitten, aggression in Methods of Training

Answers

I just wanted to add to the suggestions I made on your previous question that if what I just read on your profile is correct: that you were given Bijou at only 3 weeks old? Then that is most likely the reason for all of the issues you are having with her behavior towards people. A kitten should never be removed from her mother that early. Separation from their mother and littermates at 3 weeks old can lead to poor learning skills and aggression toward people and other pets. She would not have even been finished nursing. If she had been abandoned and there was no choice, that would be one thing but if a friend had the parents and just gave the kittens away so soon, that is really a bad idea. And if she is not spayed, that is also adding to the aggression. Going into heat is very stressful. Please look into low cost spay clinics that are available in most areas. Check at Petco or Petsmart for info.

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a

I am concerned about what you say "for not leaving her alone and freaking her out". I read this as he is doing something now that the cat does not like. It is unusual that a single episode of something that is said was an accident is the problem. I have stepped on the occasional tail. I lumber around here with a cane and prosthetic. I get a gone with the wind run and then back to normal in 5 minutes.
If I ever accidentally cause a pet pain I am all over myself making it up. I am the human. It is MY job to make the pet comfortable with ME by MY Behavior. They are animals but they are not dumb.
You have answered your own question by saying you love Bijou more than BF. I am sure there is more, but, just be good to yourself and Bijou FIRST.
It is so easy to have someone move in and Very complicated separating! I will not even get into control issues. I make do not these comments lightly. Due to my day job I also suggest that you please speak to a professional counselor about this issue.

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a answered on 7/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Try this, if your bf is there, tell him not to look at the cat, talk to the cat, try to touch the cat, etc. Have him ignore the cat completely. She will either ignore him as well or try to get his attention. She may just be jealous of him because you are paying attention to him. Get her to sit in your lap while he is sitting next to you, reassuring her that it is ok, but still have him ignore her completely.