why are girl cats so vocal? even when they are not mating. My cat make a loud meow when she plays and when i pick her up

Asked by Member 803797 on Feb 12th 2009 in Odor Eliminators

Best Answer

Interesting question. I'd like to hear the opinion of other Catsters on this, but my own experience has been that the female cats in my life have been more vocal than the males. The best example I can give is that most of my girls have tended to vocalize when jumping on or off of the sofa or bed. I also had a female who was EXTREMELY opinionated; the problem was, she wasn't one of the more intelligent cats I've ever had, and she was constantly lecturing me about things I could never figure out--with one exception: when she thought it was "our" bedtime, she let me know it. Her brother would go into the bathroom and do karaoke; this was self-expression rather than communication. I myself (the human) am female, and let's face it, women tend to be more communicative than men. Could it be the same for cats? Last year, one of my breeding queens had her first kittens, and she would call to them when it was time for them to come nurse. There may be a connection there.

Lola answered on Feb 13th.

Answers

i've found just the opposite, although if your cats are not "fixed", then it doesn't matter what sex they are since intact kitties are usually all more vocal than desexed ones since they usually only have one thing on their minds. My (neutered) male kitties have all been very vocal while my (spayed) females "talk" when necessary. I wonder if females are trained to be more quiet because when they are hidden outside in a nest with a litter, they must be quiet...or else. Izzie, my male kitty, has a comment or opinion on everything. If he doesn't know where all his people or his furblings (dogs and other cats) are, then he will patrol the house taking attendance and trilling to make sure everyone is OK. My two girls, Lily and Delilah, only vocalize when they're being loved on.

I have five females and you don't hear a peep out of most of them at all. Bailey only speaks when she is looking for me. She paroles the house making a strange hooting noise and when I answer she comes running to find me. And Kira talks to me while I rub her belly if I stop, she tells me to keep going. Blaze yells while I am filling the food bowl but she's still a baby. Other than that, everybody is pretty quiet. I really think it is just each cat's personality. My previous cat Nikita was very vocal. Almost a non-stop talker. But I had Stormy at the same time and she barely made a sound.

It's been my experience that fixed cats are usually less vocal whether they are male or female. My non-Siamese females have all been more or less silent.

However, Siamese & Siamese mixes (like my Tag) tend to be quite vocal at times, especially when “hissed off” or nervous.

Your cats vocalization may be due to Siamese ancestry. Some indications (tho, not absolutes) of Siamese ancestry are...

-very thinly shaped body type
-a real drawn out "YOWWWWWLLL" in its protest, esp. on route to the vet
-tendency to hold its claws in when slapping, tho, never trained to do so
-a brown to grey-brown undertone to its coat -hidden beneath the exterior part (esp. if localized to "cold" parts - ears, paws, tail &/or face)
-is very sensitive to touch when petted beyond the halfway point along its back
-tends to cross its eyes when focusing on something that isn't necessarily that near to its face
-has green or blue in its (adult) eyes

Sammy

Thats funny! I have 4 cats, 2 males and 2 females. The most vocal of all is Sammy my youngest who is a boy! He is always talking and talking LOUD! Just wanted to throw that in:-) Oh... Didi always talks to the wall, I think he sees ghosts

Sammy answered on 2/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer