Mr. Man

Why are garlic and yeast tablets marketed for cats, if it is toxic?

I have read that it will kill them, but have also found some products, such as garlic and yeast tablets, that are marketed toward cats and dogs. What gives?

Asked by Mr. Man on Apr 12th 2010 in Vitamin Supplements

Answers

Actually, it's raw garlic (like in cloves) that's toxic to animals. If your kitty accidentally scarfs up a few tiny pieces when you're cooking, don't panic. Sources say that even though it's said to be toxic, the kitty would have to practically eat an entire bulb of garlic. Actually, things like chocolate and onions are far more toxic to our pets than garlic. And, those tablets contain "Brewer's Yeast" which I'm pretty sure is different from the yeast used to make baked goods rise. Actually, garlic and yeast can be beneficial to our pets in veterinary doses when it comes to flea control. It permeates the pet's skin and makes it totally unpalatable for fleas. Of course one really shouldn't give a pet anything in supplement form without checking with one's vet first.

Snowball

Garlic is extremely toxic to cats, it causes damage to red cells so they can
not carry oxygen - called Heinz Body Anemia.
It's cumulative too. Onions, garlic, and cranberries have allicin, not good at all for cats. It's in the product because the manufacturer doesn't read the cat nutrition research and they are out to make money by making you think if it's good for people it's good for cats.

Brewers yeast is fine for cats. The best type is to get a jar of powdered brewers yeast to avoid the additives in most tablets or capsules. Just add a little to your cats food, does give them vitamins and helps somewhat with flea repellent.

Snowball answered on 5/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Zuzu

I completely agree with Izadore's answer regarding garlic! I have personal experience in this area. I was trying to find a less toxic, natural flea prevention method. I found Flea Free, a product that is marketed as being safe for cats and dogs. They said you could give it to an animal at any age. I started giving it to my kitten once a day on her food at about 2 months of age. She seemed fine until recently. Even though I was feeding her the same food (Wellness Kitten wet) she had drastically reduced her consumption and was not gaining weight. I saw a Catser article about cat "myths" which mentioned the toxicity of garlic!! I looked up the various side effects and saw that lack of appetite was one of them. I immediately stopped putting it in her food. Since then (about 2 weeks), her food consumption is back up and she has gained almost a pound!!! DO NOT FEED YOUR CAT GARLIC IN ANY FORM!! It may not do anything to YOUR cat, but is the risk worth it???

Zuzu answered on 7/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Daisy Glass ♥

garlic bad in any form.Yeast - brewers yeast, baker's yeast, nutritional yeast
Ones ingested, yeast will start to ferment in the warm, moist, nutrient rich environment of the stomach, and cats frequently suffer of bloating when given yeast. In the health-compromised domestic cat population it can also cause severe allergies in individual.
Ingestion will cause oxidative damage to red blood cells, which can be seen in the microscope as Heinz bodies. If severe enough, it can cause Heinz body anemia. I had a feline patient develop Heinz bodies from ingesting tiny amounts of turkey lunch meat every day (gotta watch out for those "natural flavors").
This is why pet food companies that have a clue no longer use them - because of their KNOWN toxicity.
www.aspca.org
www.peteducation.com
www.peteducation.com
www.feednfarm.com

♥ Daisy Glass ♥ answered on 9/9/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer