Why are all 3 cats simultaneously refusing to eat their regular food?

For over 2 years I have been feeding all 3 of my cats a raw food the vet recommended (Primal Chicken and Salmon Formula). Until last week, all three kitties have eaten their entire portion everyday. They get fed in separate rooms twice a day. Cats: male age5, females age7, female age14.

Last week, all three cats simultaneously started refusing to eat their regular food. The kitties have not shown any other signs of illness. They usually dig in and eat it all within 10 minutes. Now when I feed them they look at me like "that's not food, come on give me something to eat!" They will pick and scratch at it for a while and leave most of it uneaten.

The are the only reason I can think of that all three cats would simultaneously refuse to eat their regular food is that the recipe has changed...

Do you have any ideas what might be going on?

Does anyone know if Primal has changed their formula recently?

Asked by Member 1185619 on Aug 14th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

They might be able to tell that the food is bad. They have a better sense of smell than us, so I would not question it. Bring the meat they won't eat back to the store and exchange it, or just throw it out and give them a different batch. If that does not work, try some other flavors or a new brand if you are really into raw. ^_^

Kaylee & Amelia

Maybe they'd like some variety? Try feeding them a different type of the Primal. My kittens really like the Turkey and Pheasant varieties. It could be something wrong with that specific bag as well. See if you can exchange it. There are other great companies with raw foods as well, such as Nature's Variety.

Kaylee & Amelia answered on 9/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer