Versace

Which deworming product is best? How often should I deworm my kitten?

Hi! Me again - I know I keep posting questions, but I want the best for my little buddy.

Sace was dewormed by the vet when he went in for his initial shots/neuter/declaw visit around 12 weeks of age.

He's almost 5 months old, and I haven't dewormed him again. I've heard lots of different things about how often kittens should be dewormed. Realistically, how often do I need to do this for him?

Also, what product should I buy? He doesn't need the vet to do it every time, right?

Lots of questions! All answers appreciated!

Thanks!

Leah and Versace

Asked by Versace on Nov 2nd 2009 Tagged deworm, vet, product in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Kittens 6 to 16 weeks of age should be wormed every three weeks.From 4 months onward cats and kittens should be wormed every 3 months. Every kitten or puppy is born with worms. Most shelters and rescues only worm once and then leave it up to the new owner to continue the worming. If it were me, I would not deworm unless I were certain my animals actually HAD worms in the first place. There are ways you can tell, but I'm a chicken about self-medicating my animals and I'd take a stool sample to the vet. If it was determined that the animal did have worms through a fecal or physical exam, I'd let my vet tell me what to use and how to use it.

Ayla

I agree with Izzie and I've heard that over the counter dewormers don't always work and can actually be harmful to the animals. You can go to your vet and they can sell you a dewormer that you can give Versace yourself. My vet offers one that is a 6 month supply for only $36. Good luck!

Ayla answered on 11/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You can't buy over the counter the best wormers for a kitten - your vet is the best person to guide you to the right product. Some worms don't respond to particular wormers. For example, while it might be uncommon for your cat to have lungworms, (mind did) the Nemex did not touch these worms, but killed the roundworms. Droncit will kill tapeworms.

Most vets, once you've taken your baby in for an initial visit, should prescribe the worm medicine without charging you a visit fee. Ideally you should worm a kitten twice, three weeks apart. This is because of the way the wormer works - it does not kill worms that are in a more juvenile form, so you have to wait for those to become susceptable to the wormer by being older. Two wormings for a kitten is usually enough, followed by a final fecal sample in a few weeks to confirm that there are no worms left.