Lilly

When should kitten act strange after eating large amount of yarn?

Hi, i was using a length of acrylic yarn to measure the length of a knitting project and had set the yarn next to me. The next time i got up, about an hour later, the long piece of yarn was in two pieces on the floor. Three of the four ends were wet from being chewed, and about 4 feet were missing! Ive caught my almost 7 month olds trying to swallow string and yarn before, but i'd always stopped them. Ive read horror stories about yarn getting stuck in cat intestines. However, i think the yarn was eated about 4 12 hours ago and both kittens are acting normally (AKA very active). I had put olive oil on both of their paws so they would lick it off and possibly make the digestion easier.

If either of them really did eat that much yarn and it were causing internal problems, when would they start to feel, and thus show, their discomfort?

Any advise would be great!

Thanks!


Asked by Lilly on Aug 30th 2012 Tagged kittens, eat, yarn in Emergencies & First Aid
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Izadore (Izzie)

When my daughter's cat, "Sophie", ate a foam puzzle piece a few years ago, my daughter noticed that she wasn't acting right over the course of a few days. She stopped eating, became anti-social and kept trying to vomit. An x-ray revealed the piece in her intestine. Keep a close eye on your babies (and your yarn!) and watch for them to stop eating, hide and become lethargic. Chances are the yarn will pass through one end or the other and you'll see it again. Try giving a little extra wet food for the moisture content.


Izadore (Izzie) answered on 8/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer