When I find a stray should I help it?

Sadly my neighbor hood is home to a lot of stray cats.
When I find a stray I want to help it. My parents are like NO we're not helping it. Despite that I found a stray and helped it.

Asked by Member 1166527 on Oct 14th 2013 Tagged stray, helping in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

LISTEN TO YOUR FOLKS (sorry, kid). You can give homeless people $$ too, but that doesn't mean that they're not buying drugs with it. You do NOT want to feed strays, because they will lose their feral instincts and become dependent on you/easier prey for their natural enemies. Instead, build a covered area or provide a wooden box where they can be covered from heat or rain/snow. Call an animal rescue group that does TNR (trap, neuter, release) and see if it is a known feral colony if you live in a populated area. Pet all you like, but DO NOT FEED THEM... they can and should feed themselves with mice, etc. ^_^

Charlie and Joey

Trust me I have been "helping" strays all my life even have my own cats that live outside and once you feed your own cats outside you feed the whole world of cats. It became very expensive and the cats relied on us so much that they wouldn't leave and bred and more and more cats to care for is a huge load I had my very own feral colony in my back yard which is not something you want to do. We lost so many cats that we owned from diseases they have been vaccinated against! we couldn't afford to take all the cats to get them spayed and neutered because by the time we had the money it would be gone for food for them. I felt horrible watching them suffer because lack of money. The kittens we gave away to farmers who needed them to catch mice. My suggestion would be to just let them be. Many could carry rabies or others deadly to other animals in your household. Contact a local shelter and see if they can help catch and release them after fixing them.

Charlie and Joey answered on 10/18/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

See if your parents will take them to a no-kill shelter.