Magick

What's the best way to introduce an adult cat to getting a bath and brushing the hair?

Asked by Magick on Jul 21st 2011 in Professional Grooming

Answers

Patience, consistency and repetition are all keys to accustoming your kitty to bathing, grooming and nail clipping. I brush my cats at least once a night--Delilah even more. I keep the brush at my chairside table. She was a cat who bit and clawed when brushed when I adopted her. Now she practically begs for the brushing and attention. Use praise and treats and in the case of nail trimming, have your vet or a groomer show you how. It's difficult to restore trust once you accidentally cut the claw to the quick. As for bathing, my vet said that unless a cat mines coal for a living, chances are he doesn't need bathing like a dog might. Delilah has been bathed at the groomers, but Izzie has never had a bath and he's got beautiful fur and healthy skin. Since he would go spas-o-matic if I tried to bathe him, I'm grateful that his genetic make-up is such that he doesn't require a bath! Also, use many treats and praise and don't force your cat to be held and groomed. Keep the sessions short.