what to do with your cat when you die

I am disabled and my cat is with me 24/7. She is my best bud. I got her at the Humane Society and she was pretty much abused and didn't even weigh 5 pds. She is queen of my home now of course. I cannot think of anyone who could give this cat the love I give her or the attention if I pass away. Any thoughts?? She is approx. 8 yrs old now.

Asked by Member 775119 on Dec 28th 2009 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Here is an article that might help with some info. There's an email address to write to for additional info on setting up a trust. www.streetdirectory.com
I worry about mine because I have 6 and even though I know my family would try, nobody could take all of them, nor would they get the ultra spoiled life they have now. I work at home so they are used to having me here all of the time too. My friend just told me that it is actually in her will that her cat would go with me because she could not think of a better home for her. Neither of us has any reason to think that will happen, but it''s good to plan for the unexpected.

Have you checked with a senior center in your area? There may be someone who would love to adopt an older cat; they are already "trained" (if you can train a cat). I would stay away from placing an ad in the paper. You never know who is answering it.

Bugsy

We all think that nobody can love our furbabies as much as we can. I feel the same way, they are my babies. Do you have a family member or close friend that likes cats and will be willing to take your kitty if you die? I would ask around and try to find a home with someone you know, if that's possible.

Bugsy answered on 12/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is a topic none of us like to think about but we should!
A lot of pets find themselves in foster care or the humane society when their people die. Many family members can't or won't take care of the pet.
Perhaps "getting it in writing" that the person would take care of the pet and if possible leave some money for the pet to be cared for might give us some peace of mind in our decision.

You've brought up an important topic. I've always said that, while having your cat die before you is sad, dying before your cat is an even worse scenario. I like the idea of setting up a "trust fund" for Kitty--and perhaps leaving specific instructions about what to do with Kitty in your will. On an entirely different note, a neighbor left a will specifying that his dog be euthanized should the neighbor predecease the dog--which he did. I wouldn't go that route, but thinking of Kitty going to a shelter isn't such a pleasant thought, either. Hope you find a solution that fits you and Kitty.

Sydney

its a sad sad thing to think of. i cry everytime i think of what we had to do with my aunts 6 kitties she had after she had past away. luckly she had great friends that took in 3 of her kitties the other 3 where put up for adoption. and only 2 where adopted by a stranger the other kitty was actually adopted by her co worker. which was cool in a way. they where all spoiled more than any other kitty. all 6 where strays. my grandma kept feeding the cats by the door and eventually let them in lol.
maybe a family member or a close friend even a co worker would be honored to have one of your kitty

Sydney answered on 6/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ashley

There are certain cat rescues out there and no kill shelters that you can include in a will called a "Codicil". You are legally giving money to that shelter to take care of your cat and it is like a kitty trust. You can instruct the care taker not to euthanize and what kind of home you want for your pet. If you have two you can have it where they can not be separated. I am doing ours next week!! If I had to save up for anything that would be the first thing. Hope this helps!

Ashley answered on 8/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Honey P. Sunshine

i have a pet trust written into my living trust, it leaves instructions on who should be my cat's guardian and leaves instructions for my cat's care and money for the guardian to care for my cat

Honey P. Sunshine answered on 1/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tigger

In the UK, provision can be made in a will for a cat to be taken into care by either the RSPCA or Cats Protection. Both will attempt to rehome the cat and neither will euthanaze him or her even if their attempts at rehoming are unsuccessful. Perhaps you can do something similar in the USA if that is where you are.

Both will try to make sure the cat goes to a good home but whatever happens, none of us think our lovely little friend will be looked after properly by anyone else, do we?

Tigger answered on 5/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tiny Dancer

At my no-kill shelter which has 5 different types of catteries 3 that receive tons of light, one or 2 indoor, they have a program called "Friends For Life".

You pay an initial $500 for a "Lifetime Membership" (you'll get a card), then they "suggest" just leave something for your beloved in your Will. (I got life insurance 4 them).

If something happens to you or you become incapacitated where you can't properly care for your beloved cat, they will take them all in, love and care for them (I know the people,they are very loving/caring and play with the cats).

They will try to find the perfect home for your beloved cat (they are VERY picky) but if not, your cat stays with them. If they go out of business, they PROMISE to find similar-type no kill shelter, they promise NEVER to send to the pound. This is out of North County Humane Society in Atascadero, CA. I'd check around where you live for same type programs.

We are all God's creatures, He will make sure all will be well

Tiny Dancer answered on 8/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sparky

My pawrents had a trust set up for me and they chose a lawyer who does pet trusts. They're not very popular yet but they are around.
They picked a person to take care of me and asked that purrson if it was ok. So then if something happens to them, I'll go there and be taken care of like gold.
If you want more details please pawmail me separately and this is a great thing to think about!
Meow!

Sparky answered on 8/31/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

GC HSRH Princess Sophia Jubile

What a caring story and so wonderful you have found such profound love, from a Queen, I see. As a Princess, I am well cared for, however my Lady in Waiting and Lord Master realized that I will need caring if they are no longer able, so they have written clear orders in their Wills about my future without them. Both explained to me that I will remain in my palace with the same comforts of my priveleaged bloodline, with new servants to attend to my needs and the companionship of my three brothers. When the time comes when we have all have crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, then the new caretakers will have full control of the palace, but until then, Cats Rule and Solicitors monitor.

GC HSRH Princess Sophia Jubile answered on 3/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer