what to do with a semi feral cat with a broken leg and kitten.

the mother cat had a litter of kittens and i was able to catch 2 of the 3 kittens and I actually kept one. I finally trapped the mother and kitten and got them spayed along with all their shots. they're now in my garage trying to recuperate. my problem is that the mother cat has a bum leg and i really can't keep any more cats because of my 17 year old cat. any suggestions. the only reason i started to feed the cat that i hoped was a male, was that i wasn't going to let that cat die on an empty stomach. today the vet told me she, the mother, was pregnant again. now i know i did the right thing. any help would be appreciated.

Asked by Member 1038553 on Jun 24th 2011 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

This is a tough one and unfortunately proves what the Executive Director of the shelter I volunteered at always said, "You feed, you breed.". You are a very kind-hearted person and you are doing the best you possibly can to help these little creatures out. So you have 2 cats, the kitten and the old cat? Since the mom is vetted and spayed, can you just keep her as an outside cat and continue to shelter her in your garage? She's probably very independent and would not make a good indoor cat anyway. You will have to continue to feed them and be prepared that you may draw more cats to your yard once 'the word' get out that you've opened a restaurant. I can almost guarantee that she'd face euthanasia at a kill shelter or if the animal control officer had to trap her. If you can trap her again to have the leg treated, she may fare better outside. Good luck and God bless you for caring!

Hannah

Did the vet get to see the bum leg? If it's not infected or broken and she still gets around okay on her own she'll be okay to continue living in your yard as long as you provide a good little winter shelter for her. If she's really disabled by it you may contact no-kill shelters- many of them make special considerations for special needs kitties. If the kitten is really friendly you can try looking for a home for it (you can make a free profile for adoptable kitties here on Catster) or contact local rescue groups or no-kill shelters which may be able to help you but they are usually overloaded this time of year. If she's not super friendly and she's already several months old she may be happiest outside with her mom, but again- with food, water, and a sturdy, warm shelter.

Hannah answered on 6/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer