Elizabeth

What to do about an aggressive cat?

My husband's cat, Fletcher, becomes very aggressive whenever he has to be put into the carrier. He'll wrap his body around his arm, bite and dig his claws into him so that he draws blood and creates some very deep scratches. What can we do to stop this?

Asked by Elizabeth on Sep 13th 2011 Tagged crating, carrier, aggressive, fear in Fears & Phobias

Answers

If you're not in a hurry because he needs to see the vet, try putting the carrier in the living room, or one of the spots he likes to be, and put his bed in it. This way, he can check it out without having being hauled somewhere. Praise him when he goes in on his own, maybe give a treat the first couple of times. After he has napped in it a couple of times, close the door for a little bit when he's in it.... if he freely goes in and out, pick it up, walk around the house for a little bit.... I know it sounds odd, but you want him to be not scared to go/be in it, and that takes time. Yours as well as his LOL. (we've had our carrier in the living room for 3 months before we went on a 18 hour flight and he still sometimes sleeps in it if there's company. From not wanting near it, it has become a safespot)

If you need him to adjust in a hurry... try putting him in butt first instead of head first. He won't feel like he's stuffed in a hole.

Hope this helps.

I think that more than "aggressive", Fletcher is just scared. No cat I know of likes to be trapped in a small space. It makes them feel out of control. However, when kitty needs to go to the vet's, he HAS to be in a carrier. When I did animal rescue, I learned from a seasoned volunteer that if you tip the carrier up on it's end (door on top) and put the cat in head first, quickly close the door and right the carrier, it's relatively painless that way. This has worked for me with my own cats and with ferals I had to take to the vets as well. They still don't adore the carrier, but it's less painful for their humans this way!

Marshall

My cat is th esame way, we keep the carrier out where he can just check it out. Sometimes we put treats in it and then when its time to go, he doesnt associate it as much with going to the vet. Also, try turning it on end, the opening at the top.This is going to sound much worse than it is, don't think the worst. Grab him and "hog tie" him with your hands. (This requires two people) and put him in head first. This all needs to be done quickly. Its easy and NOT harmful to the cat. One person holding arms/legs, one person holding torso. Just swiftly drop him in gently and shut the lid. Oh, you might wanna clip those claws as well, if he cant sit still, everytime you take him to the vet, ask them to do it. they might charge a minimal fee but its worth preventing the attack.

Marshall answered on 9/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer