What should I do if my cat was not weaned as a kitten?

My cat is almost a year old and has odd behavior. He spends much time kneading, particularly on my fleece blanket and he tries to look for most likely a nipple to suck because he shoves his head into the blanket and afterwards there's drool everywhere. Also he doesn't know when to stop playing or the difference between playful and aggressive. He attacks the owners' faces and scratches and bites at random times however he can also be very affectionate and cuddles with me every night. We have two other cats that are older, and he is extremely playful and aggressive with them, always biting or attacking them. I took him from a friend a few months ago because she was no longer able to care for him. My family and I think that he was taken away from his mom way too early. Will he ever stop the behavior or are there things I can do to help him so he isn't socially inept and aggressive?

Asked by Member 1028475 on Mar 28th 2011 Tagged socialization, aggression, kneading in Socialization

Answers

Dahlia

These behaviors are relatively common and are likely the result of him being taken away from his mother too early, like you stated. While the majority of cats kneed, the other behaviors are likely to decrease in frequency as he gets older. He is still in a kitten-like stage and this may explain why he acts aggressive. He is also still learning what is right and what is wrong, so you still have time to shape his behavior. When he begins to act aggressive with you, stop all contact with him. Put him down, walk away. I can't fit all that I'd like to say in this box, so try the ASPCA's website here: www.aspcabehavior.org

There is some great advice and information to be found there. Finally, if he hasn't been neutered already, be sure to get this done as soon as possible. It will help with his temperment and also prevent him from spraying and marking his territory in the house. Best of luck to you both!

Dahlia answered on 3/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dahlia, as usual, is right. I suspect that her mom has some sort of veterinary experience or has done animal welfare work as I have. Remember that cats, while more independent than most dogs, also need training and more importantly, socialization to become good feline citizens. They need to lovingly be taught right from wrong and what is acceptable to their owners. This is an ongoing process, but it need not be a tedious one. I love playing with both my cats (and my dogs), but as much fun as we have, I never let them forget that I am the Alpha. I don't shriek or yell at or hit them, but they know when I'm displeased. If you have a vet on board, they can be invaluable to you for advice and guidance since they know your animals and their histories and also your lifestyle. It is noble to rescue an animal as you have done, but your "job" doesn't end there. Your other cats as well will teach this little guy 'the ropes'. Only interfer if bloodshed seems imminent. Good luck and join Catster!