What should I do for an open sore on my cat?

My cat hasan open sore on his body at the base f his tail. He licks it constantly and i am wondeing if the constant licking is preventing the healing. should I buy a cone collar and put neoporin on it? No swelling, and he has no fever and acts nomal w/healthy appetite.

Asked by Member 985479 on May 5th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Take your cat to the vet for diagnosis and treatment. You don't know what it is and it could get infected. It needs to be cleaned and treated by a veterinarian who will most likely put your cat on oral antibiotics as well as topical. Hope he gets better soon!

King

With all open sores you should take him to the vet to have it checked. He may need meds. that you can not get over the counter for him . We here at catster are cat lovers not able to give medical advice on how to treat your cats . Please seek medical help for your cat .

King answered on 5/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

the best advise on this one is to call your vet's office and explain it to them...open sores are not good and you don't want to take any chances.
vet's advise is the best advise!

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds

They all gave excellent advice. Your vet is your greatest resource! I just wanted to reinforce that you should NEVER under ANY circumstances apply human medicine to your kitty! I know it doesn't seem like neosporin can hurt your kitty, but you said yourself that he's licking himself, and a cone collar most likely won't keep your cat away from his tail. They're THAT bendy. It only takes one lick, and he could become seriously ill. As for him "acting normal," his strange behavior is the one you're noticing. If it wasn't bothering him, he wouldn't lick the spot. The very fact that he's exhibiting obvious discomfort is your big neon sign that the spot is hurting him. Please take him to your vet and don't let him keep hurting.

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds answered on 5/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Um...you know that "Superman" died of a bedsore? He was not a cat, but he was a biological entity, and open sores can kill--even with the best of treatment. Sooner is better than too late. Purrs and good luck. And prayers.

Chibi answered on 5/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oliver

Male cats sometimes get what they call stud tail which is like cat puberty, I'm not sure if it only occures in unaltered maies or not. Oliver got this when he was around 9 months old. The base of his tail got really oily and alot of the hair came out along with his skin getting irritated.
I'm not sure if this fits the description of your cats problem if it does, than a
Simple, safe remedy the vet recommended is corn starch.
Just pour some in your hand and satturate the base of his tail, rub it in and it absorbs all the oils and stope the itching. It is also safe if they clean themself. Do it as needed

Oliver answered on 5/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer