Delilah

What is wrong with my cat's eye?

So my cat was diagnosed with the feline herpes virus. She was given eye drops and Viralysis (sp?) as an antibiotic. I was told that it would help the symptoms go away, however that is not the case. Her eye leaks a light green discharge, has a foggy layer, and is sometimes swollen. Does anyone else have a similar problem with their cat? Could it be something else besides the herpes virus?

Asked by Delilah on Jul 3rd 2011 Tagged eyes, health in Health & Wellness

Answers

Viralys is just an amino acid that is supposed to help keep the symptoms of feline herpes virus from being too severe. It doesn't treat the actual virus or the infections it causes. The eye drops would be what contain the antibiotic and if they are not helping and her symptoms seem severe, you vet may need to try a different eye ointment or maybe even an oral antibiotic. You did not say how long you have been treating it but if it has been more than a few days and seems to be getting worse instead of better, I would call your vet and ask them if there is anything else you can do for her.

i had full blown herpes when i was a kitten. affecting more than just my eyes. i was coughing and sneezing too. i was treated they gave L-Lysine, and calvimox too and some other med i cant remeber the name of. maybe u can ask your vet to give u L-Lysine.