Bella

What is the easiest way to worm a cat? Is there a spot treatment?

Asked by Bella on Sep 16th 2013 in Pet Products

Answers

There are worming medications sold in pet stores, but I am not sure I would trust them. When I volunteered with a rescue, we used Strongid. To be honest, I would take a poop sample to a vet and have it tested. They can determine what sort of parasite infestation your cat has and prescribe the right wormer for her. Re-testing of the stool is included (at least by my vet) to make sure the infestation is gone. There are no "spot treatments" that I'm aware of for worms. The spot treatments, like Frontline are for things like ticks and fleas. In the big picture of vet care, worming meds are not that costly and at least you're sure you've got the right, safe medication for your furkid.

We agree with Izzie because there are different types of worms. If you do not go to the vet and bring a poop sample for anaysis, you could end up treating for the wrong kind of worms, which will make your young one even more sick and not solve the problem. Heartworms can be fatal, and tapeworms can wreak havoc on the inside robbing the cat of vital nutrients, so talk to your vet when you bring her in for her kitten shots! ^_^