Sylvester Leroy

What is going on with him, need some thoughts please.

So, as many of you know I have been having quite the time with my pets getting sick. Now, Sylvester seems to have something going on as well. Before I had brought him in, he was diagnosed with a Urinary Infection, which was treated but now similar symptoms are repeating . So here is what's going on. Might I add that it is not stress related as nothing has changed in our environment, except getting rid of Kito, BUT he had some issues before Kito even arrived.

Symptoms:
-Excessive hair pulling on back, by the lower end of his spine, almost to base of tail. Entire underside of tail is completely bald as well. As well as the lower tummy/groin area he is pulling out too.
-Increase of water consumption. I'd say about every 5-10 mins, when up and about, he is back at the water bowl.
-I noticed the other day while scooping the litter box he has a very thick, mucky/soupy like urine.
-Very foul breath, this could be from plaque build up as he hasn't been in, in some time for a teeth cleani

Asked by Sylvester Leroy on Dec 5th 2011 in Illness & Disease

Answers

It sounds like their may be more than one thing going on with Sylvester. Don't rule out stress. The hair pulling and excessive grooming is a classic sign of stress. The sudden absence of an animal in his domain, even one he may not have gotten along with, is an upset in his routine and will stress him out. It can also indicate a food allergy or pain in that area. Since you said he has urinary issues, he may have pain "down there" and in his mind, he's trying to get to it. He may even start chewing at the skin. Excessive water consumption is a sign of issues with his kidneys. And, foul breath can indicate gastrointestinal issues as well as dental/oral concerns. Because we aren't vets here, we can't and shouldn't diagnose Ester over a computer. He needs to be seen in real time for a hands-on exam by a vet. He needs blood tests and possibly skin scraping to rule out mange. If finances are an issue, ask someone who was going to give you a Holiday gift to help with Sylvester's bill.

He may also have diabetes since he's drinking alot & his urine looks different. Bad breath may indicate conditions from periodontal, kidney, respiratory or liver disease to diabetes, skin disease (involving tissue around the lips) or oral trauma, such as electric cord injury.However, by far, the most common problem associated with bad breath is periodontal disease. Hair pulling could be stress, alleriges, etc. Please take him to a vet ASAP.