Mack

What is better? A young cat or an old cat for a companion?

I want to get my 1 year old cat a buddy and I don't know what is better, a kitten or an older cat. My cat now has a lot of energy and I think he gets lonely when I'm not home. He is very rough with me although I'm working on curbing that. I wouldn't want him to hurt a kitten, would he know its a kitten and be gentle? My concerns with bringing an older cat to the equation is that the older cat will have its own habits and dispositions towards other cats and maybe a kitten would be a "fresh start". My cat really hasn't had any other interactions with other cats other than when he was a kitten and he has been at the kennel a few times so I don't know if he mingled or not. I would love to have a fluffy new kitten again but there are a lot of homeless adult cats out there.

Asked by Mack on Nov 15th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Spice

There are alot of cats/kittens out there who need homes. When getting another cat you never know if your cat will get along. No matter the age. If he has alot of energy then get a cat close to his age or younger, one with energy. He is not to old to get along with a kitten. It's best to get another cat now since he is still young and will accept another cat. When you get his buddy give them time to get used together, don't expect best buds overnight.

Spice answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jack Kayden -love always

Getting a new pet is so exciting, and I commend you on choosing to adopt! Like you said, there are alot of cats that needs homes. The shelters are overrun with homeless kitties, young and old. Many adult cats are still quite active and playful so you don't necessarily have to get a kitten. A playful cat could be a playmate, a more mellow cat could act as a companion, an older cat can act as a mentor... there are many relationship dynamics! I'm sure Mack would be happy with any kitty you bring home, regardless of age. Of course, like the previous poster mentioned, you can't expect them to be best buds over night because it will take a little time for both kitties to adjust to each other. This kitty is also going to be YOUR companion, not just Mack's. So think about what kind of characteristics you like. Visit the kitties at your local shelter and see if one sticks out to you.

Jack Kayden -love always answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If you choose a cat from a rescue that uses foster homes, they will be able to tell you a lot about the cat's personality and how it gets along with others. They usually live in a group setting with a foster Mom or Dad that will know their behavior and preferences. They can help you determine which one would be a good companion for Mack. I don't think they usually allow cats to mingle when they are boarded at a kennel, so Mack probably did not interact at all there. But I am sure that with proper introduction he will do just fine. Separate rooms at first with short supervised visits. Allow them to sniff each other under the door for a few days and get used to each others smells by exchanging blankets or bedding. Kittens are easier to introduce but if it's done right, adults can do fine too. A kitty about his age that will have the energy to keep up with him.

Freckles (1993-2011)

The others all give good advice. Since Mack is about a year old a good choice would be another cat 6 - 18 months old. At that age they are still "kittens" from a social development point of view and are likely to be easy to integrate with a 1 year old cat. There are often many older kittens/young adults available at shelters and they'll be a good size match for Mack too. As the others say, a cat who's been in a group room with other cats at the shelter/rescue place or is known to get on well with other cats in their previous home is a good bet.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

In my experience, a younger cat will be better, I have five cats, their ages are in a descending order. The old cat always loves playing with the younger one and does not hurt the kitten. However, you never know. I got all my cats from shelters who were very friendly to other cats. You may want to get a cat who is either from shelter or from an individual ( the cat lives with other cats)

Good luck

As a former adoption coordinator for a rescue organization, I'd like to suggest that when you decide to adopt, you chose a reputable shelter or rescue organization who fosters in their member's homes. Explain your situation to them, Mac's personality, your personality, the size of your home, any children, etc. Indicate whether you want an active cat to keep up with Mack or a more sedate cat to calm him down. These people know their cats and can match you with just the right companion for you AND Mack. The also have a return policy if it doesn't work out and their volunteers are trained to help you introduce your new cat to your older one. Be very careful of picking out a cat by yourself that you know nothing about. It's OK when there are no other animals in your life, but when you already have a cat, you need for these two cats to be compatible and the rescue/shelter can help you to be successful. Good luck and thanks for considering adoption!

Elise

I have a one year old cat (female) and adopted another female (7 months old) around a month ago. What a pair they make! They became instant friends, and they get into everything (I don't really like that, but, well, theyre cats...). A cat is technically considered a kitten until they are one year old, and Currier adores having Elise as a playmate.

Elise answered on 11/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer