What is a normal weigh for an orange tabby that is almost 2 yrs old?

What is the average weight for an orange tabby that is almost 2 yrs old? He is long and muscular.

Asked by Member 650021 on Jul 6th 2008 Tagged normalweight in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

There is no good answer for your question as it depends totally on his frame. It could be 5 pounds, it could be 10 pounds. My roommate's cat is 18 pounds and that is a great weight for him, not too fat, not too thin.

I would guess between 8 and 12 pounds since I think male orange cats tend to be a little bigger.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on Jul 6th.

Answers

Biscuit

When I was about 18 months I was quite lithe and everybody thought I'd stay like that, then within a year I'd become ENORMOUS! I think I put on a third more weight, and it wasn't fat, it was muscle and bone..
My humans put that growth spurt down to me not being "done", that maybe my male hormones kicked in and made me bigger like they do when human teenagers grow...

Biscuit answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There's not really a normal weight as there's so much size variation - anything from 7-15 pounds is pretty average for a tom cat.

Use this to see if your cat is at a healthy weight or too fat/thin. www.cathelp

I find it curious that you feel the need to mention that he is an orange tabby. I assume you mean he's just an average housecat (domestic short hair), but orange tabby is a coloration that can be found in a number of breeds, all of which may have different average weights. In any event, color and breed are two different things, and in the case of a DSH, color is not thought of affecting weight (unless the cat has coloration/markings indicative of genetic material from a specific breed, such as Siamese). More to the point is the cat's sex (males are usually bigger than females), its build, the size of its parents, and the nutrition it received in the first year or so of its life. Why don't you take a stroll through Catster and look at the DSH males (of all colors) who are around 2 years old, and see how your cat sizes up?