What is a good material for a couch if you have cats?

Hi! I currently have a white leather sofa, because I initially was not planning on getting pets. However, I have now rescued two cats an adult Ragdoll that is front declawed and a siamese mix kitten that has all of his claws! So he is basically destroying my couch. I have decided to buy a new one soon but I am unsure what would be a type of couch that would be sturdier! P.S. my cats are not intentionally scratching the couch, they know to use the scratching post but my kitten unintentionally scratches it while playing and trying to climb onto the couch.

Thanks!!

Asked by Member 1081989 on Jan 4th 2012 Tagged scratching, claws, furniture, couch, sofa in Scratching

Answers

Thumper

Probably the best fabric would be that rough, tough kind. I know it's not too comfy but it's hard for a cat to damage. Besides, you can always put a soft blanket on the seat and backing. Although, you can still get a different fabric that's a little more soft and nicer just not a leather couch. Leather couches are pretty expensive and your siamese might tear it open. And go for a colour that will somewhat blend with your cats' fur so the fur they shed won't show up as well (but go more for the colour of your ragdoll because they shed more than siamese which rarely shed). If you do want to get a nicer couch then you have to learn to trim the cat's nails regularly. That way the nails won't accidentally scratch the couch. If you find this a pain because of the fact that your cat hates getting this done, then take him/her to PetSmart. The price for a nail clip session is about $10 and takes only a minute. Also, when the siamese is no longer a kitten, she/he will be able to jump higher.

Thumper answered on 1/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Short of concrete, I don't think a truly pet-proof (or toddler proof) furniture fabric exists! We have a black leather sofa and just from normal use it's torn and split. Lizzie climbs up inside my leather recliner and pulls the stuffing out 8-o
My suggestion would be to go ahead and purchase the leather, but for day-to-day use, also purchase a fitted slipcover at Wal-Mart or Target. When you entertain, whip off the cover. Also, just a suggestion, but you might want to replace any carpeted posts you have with the corrugated "scratch box" kind. Some Catsters claim that the cats cannot tell the difference between a carpeted scratching post and furniture that feels the same to them. It's also a good suggestion to keep those needle-sharp little hooks trimmed off their claws. If you don't care to travel with them to have them done, your vet can show you how to do it yourself. It's not difficult!

Mine is microfiber and my cats all have claws and have done no damage at all to it. I got it before I got them so 9 of them have gone through kittenhood with it in the house. It cleans up easily if there is a barfing incident and the smooth texture doesn't seem to draw their attention for deliberate clawing. Mine are all really good about the scratching post too but they are not perfect. They often run around like maniacs and the sofa is in the middle of the race course and they run right over it with no damage. My leather desk chair seems to attract them to stick their claws into it. I have been through 2 of those so I'd never consider a leather sofa with them. And I had a rough tweedy woven kind of fabric in the past and my old cats ripped it to shreds. I also recommend a dark color. ;)

The only answer I could give is CEMENT! If you are not going to declaw the cat then try to train him "off" of furniture. A 4x4 piece of wood is good for a scratching post. Cover the couch with aluminum foil for a few days, arms & all. And everytime you see him approach it, take him to his wood block and scratch his paws on that. It's a hard thing to break, but I've been able to by being consistant.