What is a good eco-friendly cat litter?

We go through so much litter, it'd be nice to switch over to a brand that isn't so damaging to the environment. Has anyone had any good experiences with litter branded earth-friendly? Thanks!

Asked by Member 1030223 on Apr 11th 2011 in Home Grooming

Answers

World's Best Cat Litter is made from ground corn and works really well. It clumps great and controls odors. You can even get it at Target now. However, my cats are not terribly fond of it. When given a choice, they will use the other boxes with clay in then instead. I have one box with that in it now because my new kitten's breeder sent it home with her and even she prefers using the regular boxes with Arm & Hammer in them. I recommend trying it (or any new substance that you introduce) along with your cat's normal litter in an extra box at first so that they can get used to it.

World's Best Cat Litter is corn based as the other poster mentioned. My cats didn't like it though.

Swheat Scoop is wheat based. We've never tried it though.

Feline Pine is compressed pellets of wood shavings. My cats didn't like that either.

Yesterdays News is compressed pellets of recycled newspaper. We've never tried it.

My cats have a strong preference for clumping clay litter and our favorite brand is Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra. You can certainly try some eco-friendly options, but your cats might not like them. Have a box of your usual litter available just in case.

Simon

We've tried World's Best Cat Litter, Feline Pine, and Swheat Scoop. My cats really hated Feline Pine - I think the pellets were uncomfortable, and one cat refused to use the box when we used World's Best Cat Litter (although the others seemed to like it - and it clumps great!) Now we're trying Swheat Scoop, and so far, so good, even for my finicky-litter cat! :-)

Simon answered on 4/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hands down, Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat. No perfume (a big plus!), no dust, excellent odor control, super clumping.

It might seem expensive upfront - forty pound bags are $14 - $17. However, it clumps so well, less gets used up, and the clumps don't break apart and get mixed with the clean litter. Never had a problem with any of my three cats using it, and two of them were over five years old when I switched.

Also, if you keep an eye on the big pet online retailers, you can find discounts and free shipping. A few months ago I ordered four 40lb. bags from Petco, for 20% of and free shipping. Totally beat schlepping it from the store.

Mothra

My cat seems to prefer the crystal type of litter from fresh step... and I kind of like it, since it doesn't clump and instead simply dessicates the feces, meaning I can just scoop them out and toss them in the toilet and flush rather than having to put the clumps of litter in a bag...

Mothra answered on 4/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Beila Alexandra Kyzar

I really like ExquisiCat Corn and ExquisiCat Wheat litter. Clumps well, low on dust, flushable, low odor. I like their corn litter better than World's Best Cat Litter. I switched to wheat because it was cheaper. But Lexi has never turned her nose up at anything I put in the litter box, so I haven't dealt with a picky cat.

Beila Alexandra Kyzar answered on 4/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Swheat is great - good for the environment, low dust, clumps well, no odor at all, easy to clean. We love it!