Radar

What home remedy can we use do for a stuffy nose?

I have a stuffy nose and mommy has tried to help me get rid of it, I don't like the nose bulb thingy and we don't have much money so that's y we're here to hope that we can find some results very soon.

Asked by Radar on Feb 13th 2008 in Medications

Best Answer

Cleo (The Queen)

I deal with a stuffy nose all of the time-if you have been to the vet, and you don't need meds, then you only have a few choices. This is what mommy does for me-
1. Takes me in the bathroom when she takes a shower
2. Vicks plug ins (or anything like that)
3. saltaire nose spray (it is for two-leggers) BUT you have to put it in a small kitty sized nose spray bottle-mom just used the one I had from before that had saline drops in it. This is something my vet said we could try because it works for sinus issues in people
4. There are homeopathic meds at pets stores for nose issues-sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't
5. Keep floors and counters dust and hair free

Good Luck!!!

Cleo (The Queen) answered on Feb 14th.

Answers

Cleo gave you good advice...but if you also have a runny nose and gunky eyes and you are wheezing, then you just might need to go to the vets because that's an upper respiratory infection. It won't go away and will only get worse. If you need help with vet bills, then you can always go online or look in the phone book for low-cost vet care, or contact a local shelter or humane rescue for their ideas.

Morgana - forever my soul

Here's a bit extra as Cleo & Izzie covered it well. Saline drops or spray (basically salty water but made specifically for the nose) is best for loosening thick secretions. It makes it easier to remove with a nose bulb OR the secretions slide down the back way through the throat (it doesn't bother the kitty to swallow it).

You can also add lysine to Radar's diet. Lysine is an amino acid (part of what makes up protein so don't be scared by the word 'acid') & it interferes with the herpes virus growth cycle. This will only work IF Radar's infection is caused by the herpes virus. Do you know from taking Radar to the vet before? I'd phone your vet & ask if you're not sure. 90% of upper respiratory infections are caused by either herpes or calici viruses so antibiotics are only given if there's also a bacterial infection too.

Here's 2 sites with more info.
Feline Herpes: www.thensome.com
Feline URIs: www.marvistavet.com

Morgana - forever my soul answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

~Calia~

My suggestion is use neo-synephrine or little Little Noses. Dilute it in a little water, and with a dropper or even a syringe suck some up and place 2 drops in each nostril. You can do that once in the morning and once in the evening. Thats what they did for me at the Humane society and it really helps. Also let the water run really hot in the bathtub or shower, keep the door closed and keep Radar in it. Just make sure hes safe and protected from the hot water. The steam is what will help the congestion. Good luck and feel better:)

~Calia~ answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer