What happens if I don't get my female kitten fixed?

If I get her fixed will she stop peeing on the floor and behind the couch?
Also, Is there some kind of home remedy I could use to discourage her from peeing where she should'nt?

Asked by Member 804987 on Jul 5th 2009 in Other Kittens

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

The first think you need to do is schedule a vet appointment to rule out any medical reasons for the inappropriate elimination (such as a bladder infection). Please take her to vet ASAP to get her checked out and go from there. However, many female cats do "mark" when they are in heat. You should also talk to your vet about getting her spayed ASAP. Be careful and make sure she doesn't get out. Female cats in heat that "just snuck out for a moment" are almost guaranteed to come back pregnant. There may be some low cost spay/neuter options in your area too if cost is an issue. Also, get a good enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle (available at PetCo and PetSmart) to thoroughly clean the soiled areas. Cats have very good noses and if she can still smell it, she may be tempted to repeat the crime. Also, did you get a new litter box, move the litter box, or change brands of litter? If anything has changed, she may simply be telling you she doesn't like it!

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 7/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do you have some reason for not getting your kitten spayed? If it's a money problem, a shelter or the SPCA can give advice. And vets will sometimes allow time-plan paying. Yes, female cats in heat will mark with urine. Unless you are a breeder, I cannot see any reason why you would not spay your cat. Unless you are SURE that she can have kittens by a healthy male, and that that ALL the kittens will find good homes...please spay her. Please. There is no "home remedy" for this.

I just wanted to add to the reasons for spaying your cat. Beyond eliminating the risk of becoming pregnant, the unpleasant behavior during the heat cycle and possibly helping with the inappropriate peeing behind the sofa, spaying will help your cat live a longer healthier life. It eliminates the risk of uterine infections and greatly decreases the risk of mammary cancer and many other health issues related to the sexual organs. The risk increases as the cat gets older if she is not spayed.