Jack

What do I do about my kittens broken paw?

I just rescued an 8 week old kitten his paw had been broken (not sure how, I think abuse :( ) and healed the wrong way. What should I do?

Asked by Jack on Jul 9th 2008 in Health & Safety

Answers

Annie

Sounds like your kitten needs some Vet attention. He/she can advise you if there is anything that can be done for your kitten's paw at this point. Maybe it could still be soft splinted to grow correctly as he grows. Maybe, if there were any open areas, there might be an abcess that could be treated.
He is a lucky little kitty that you have taken him in. How wonderful of you!
Kittens usually get their first vacs/dewormed at 8 wks, also, and plans made for neutering.
btw- What about a name referring to water for him, since you found him in a storm- Misty, River, Aqua, Blue?!

Annie answered on 7/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Princess

Aww! don't worry too badly! I fostered a baby kitten that had been stepped on, and apparently they heal very quickly. You will need to get him to a vet for the pain medicine and a full evaluation just in case, but our little kitty only took 2-3 weeks to heal. Also, you will have to keep them fairly confined to prevent them from hurting themselves, i suggest a soft comfy carrier that can be easily cleaned with well ventilation. They hate it, but the less they run around the faster they get better. I also suggest supervised litter visits (carrying them to the box at least every few hours or often as necessary while they're awake) Also make sure they are in a not too hot/not to cold area. While i don't recommend letting them run around, staying close will greatly reduce kitten's stress. He will love you insanely when you finally let him out, mine purred and cuddled me like crazy, he was so happy to be free and healed. That was a hind leg injury so you should be fine :) good luck!

Princess "Floofy" answered on 7/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I volunteer for a no kill cat rescue and we had a kitten with a broken leg. Vet put the leg in a cast and the kitten is doing very well.