Kodi

What color is my cat?

I have never seen anything like her.(Dakota) Her coat is a mix of soft gray and cream and she has faint tabby stripes on her back legs and a few tiny patches of rust also on her back legs. How would I classify her color?

Asked by Kodi on Oct 26th 2010 in Kittens

Answers

Dakota is a pretty dilute tortie, also sometimes known as a blue-cream tortie.

Gogo

Linus is correct and Dakota is a dilute tortie just like Gogo. Torties are cool because they all have unique patterns in their fur. Their genetics give them a mix of 2 different coats (grey and white and pale orange for dilute torties) and each hair in their coat randomly chooses between the options as they develop in the womb. So even identical twins of clones would have different patterns of colours in their fur. Dakota is very cute.

Gogo answered on 10/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Currier

You're a lovely kitty, and I agree with Linus that you're a dilute tortoiseshell (in which black has become blue, i.e. grey, and red has become cream). The tabby gene is strongly linked to the red gene or its dilute equivalent, so torties can have stripes in their red patches. If the black/blue areas have tabby markings, in theory the cat becomes a patched tortie or torbie. I was just at a cat show where my mentor was showing a cat that looked almost exactly like my own Currier (a tortie), and the judge spotted some stripes in the black areas and told my mentor to change the color classification. My mentor has bred hundreds of cats (Maine Coons), and knows an awful lot about color genetics. Anyway, this just serves to show how confusing cat color genetics can be. Occasionally cats (Dakota is not one of them) end up by some genetic fluke with some theoretically impossible colorations. The site www.messybeast.com has a lot of interesting articles on cats and color genetics

Currier answered on 10/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer