what cat breeds are very smart?

I would love to have a cat that is very smart. What breed would that be?

Asked by Member 835092 on May 11th 2009 in Breeds J-Z

Answers

I am not sure you can judge intelligence by a breed the way you do with dogs. Or even what the benefit of a smart cat would be. One of my Persians is so smart it's scary and she thinks of things I would never expect her to do and yet another one is dumb as a box of rocks. The silly girl is more affectionate and will sit in my lap for hours. The smart girl is more interesting but rarely snuggles. Having multiple cats, you can get a little bit of everything in their personalities.

Allie's right, and bear in mind that everyone thinks their breed (or mixed-breed) is the smartest. I know I sure do. Izzie is a genuis in my book. There may be breeds who are more social and accepting of training by humans. Some cats are noted for their acceptance of dogs (Maine Coon, for example). However, like a child, when you get a kitten, you are given a more or less blank slate. If you ignore the kitten, don't play with it regularly, take only the basic care of it and treat it like an object rather than a living, breathing creation, then you will have an antisocial, completely independent cat who exists alongside you but not WITH you. If you do your research into cat training and socialization, make the cat a part of your heart, family and life and give it a good opinion of itself and it's surroundings, you will have a genius also! Many mixed breed cats who are languishing in shelters are so happy to have a loving, forever home that they can be eager to learn as well.

Gracie

I agree with the previous posters: there is no specific breed that is tagged for "smarts" in cats like in dogs. That is partly because cats don't come in many sizes. Even the biggest breeds (Maine Coons, Norwegian Forest Cats) are usually only 2x to 3x as big as your smallest breeds (Persians, ASH), as opposed to the size differential between a Golden and a Chihuahua (which will obviously affect brain size).

You also want to consider what you mean by smarts. My two mixed breed cats know how to open cabinets, doors, and how to turn on our Roomba (they've done it purposefully to get attention). One of them even fetches (the older one, who taught the little one most of the above tricks), but only on his own terms. That said, being smart also means they tend to try and figure out how much trouble they can get into and how to get out of it, which isn't always a picnic for the humans. Do keep that in mind...

Gracie answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sookie

Siamese are not only beautiful, they are very intelligent--you can train them like you would a dog to do tricks and come when they are called. I highly recommend a Siamese if you want a clever, funny and smart little friend--

Sookie answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have owned mixed breed cats from local shelters for the past twenty years and find them brilliant. The fist cat I had was named Betsy and she could turn the heat on with her paw when she got chilly. The heaters in my home were at floor level, thus within her reach. One of my current cats named Earl opened the cabinet door in the kitchen, selected a can of cat food, rolled it down the hall and when he entered the room where my mother and I were he paused with his hand (paw) on the can and uttered a low long meow. I did NOT train these cats to do these things. They are VERY observant and catch on from observation. This is raw intelligence. I'm not saying a pure bred cat isn't as smart. I'm just relating what I know as fact. Good luck with selecting a new kitten or cat.