What cat breed is right for me?

I want a cat that will go outside, sit on my lap, won't scatch funitur and only meows and talks if theres something important to say.Also it can't look ugly or spooky my mom won't let me get one if thats the case.

Asked by Member 746691 on Oct 4th 2008 Tagged whatcatisrightforme in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Tabby (Adopted)

Go with your mum down to the local shelter and check out their cats there. I volunteer at the local SPCA and they always have cats that would be suitable for you and adoption counsellors that will match you and your mum up with the right cat.

I'd recommend choosing a cat that is at least 6 months old as they'll have developed their personalities by then and you'll be able to choose a quieter friendly cat. Kittens are cute but their personality is often very different than when they grow up.

Make sure you get a cat that was used to going outside before otherwise they won't have any street smarts.

I don't agree with declawing as its cruel and unnecessary but the shelter may have cats that have already been declawed. If not you can make sure the cat has a scratching post to claw and train it not to claw anything else.

Good luck finding the perfect cat.

Tabby (Adopted) answered on 10/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wow, Tabby sure covered that. What you're looking for is not a "breed," but a cat with a certain kind of personality. By all means seek out a regular moggie in a shelter who needs a home. It is true that certain personalities are associated with certain breeds, but this is not infallible. Maine Coons are supposed to be laid back and affectionate, but my three are not as affectionate as the two rescue cats I have. Also, although this is a hotly debated topic, the consensus is that fur color has no influence on personality (in the case of moggies). I definitely agree that you choose an older cat rather than a kitten--in my experience, cats don't develop their characters fully until about the age of two. You don't have to get a cat who is two years old, but remember that a cute bundle of fluff that is only two months old is a gamble. By all means, let the shelter people help you find the right cat, and consider an adult (over one year) rather than a kitten. Good luck!

You seem to be putting a lot of conditions on the kitty and I'm not sure you'll find one that fits all your wants/needs unless it's a stuffed one who'll sit on your bed. Animals can be unpredictable and sometimes don't act the way we expect or want them to. Even the most perfect kitty will occasionally scratch the carpeting or furniture. In addition, if you let your cat out, be prepared for the inevitable--that it may not come home. Younger cats can be full of energy and take training and lots of socialization. Older cats who have be turned into shelters can have behavioral problems and that's why they were turned into the shelter. Not all, but some. If you aren't willing to take a cat for what it is, I would kindly suggest that you do a rethink about getting one until you loosen up your rules and regulations for the kitty.

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov

Wow you sure are asking a lot of us kitties? Wouldn't you be better off getting a dog that you can train do do what you want?

I am the purrfect lap cat and only meow in the kitchen, but that's too much meowing for my dad. What's acceptable cat behaviour to one person will really get on another persons nerves. It sounds like your mom doesn't really want a cat, and an unwanted cat is a sad and lonely cat. Maybe you could get a nice quiet oldster, but I would think a bit more about whether a cat would fit into your family a bit more.

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov answered on 10/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer