Danny (Danish Mittens)

what are the causes cerebral palsy in cats?

My cat has cerebral palsy and we were just wondering what causes it. Is it the lack of oxygen during birth or something?

Asked by Danny (Danish Mittens) on Aug 25th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Cerebral Palsy in cats is known as "cerebral hypoplasia". It's said to be the result of the mother cat being exposed to distemper during pregnancy. With a few adjustments, these cats can lead fairly normal lives. Because of their "bobbing and weaving", they should be kept away from stairs or supervised until they become accustomed to negotiating the staircase. They may need a litter box with lower sides. They may take longer to eat and may be a little messier than unaffected cats, so should be fed by themselves to prevent unaffected cats from eating their food.

The former poster is absolutely correct. It is a condition known as "cerebral hypoplasia". My cat had this condition and was abandoned by her mother. I found her when she was about four months old. She walked a little wobbly and her rear legs were not as strong. However, she did live as normal a life as any other cat could considering her condition. She unfortunately passed away at age 11 due to chronic renal failure. I still miss her dearly. She was my first feral cat rescue and I will never forget how affectionate and loving she was. With a little help and supervision, good food and vet care, your cat will give you many years of happiness!