We just got a new puppy and my 1 yr old cat now pees on things that we leave on the floor... like my Son's bookbag !!!

We have a 2 yr old lab that the cat has always gotton along with, but we have recently gotton a puppy. Now my cat is peeing on things, how do you know if its a urinary infection or spite ? I have been trying to give the cat alot more attention so he doesnt feel neglected. Whenever I put down a small rug for instance in front of the sink or the door, he pees on that or a basket of laundry, help !!!!! i already have two litter boxes for him.

Asked by Member 1124869 on Aug 9th 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

The only way to tell if it's a UTI is to take him to the vet for a test. One of the signs is peeing outside the box b/c when he pees IN it, it hurts and he thinks it's the box causing it. Cats don't like change. They are also very territorial. Delilah pees on the rug in the bathroom and I wash it constantly. She's just used to going there so I keep washing the rug. She does use the box. I think it's probably the presence of the puppy that's ticking your cat off. Make sure the pup isn't harrassing him. Pups love to play and they don't care with whom. Your cat is still close enough to being a kitten that he and the pup may, at some point, become friends. For now, make sure that your son doesn't leave his bookbag or anything he doesn't want peed on out, and put your clothes basket in the closet and shut the door. I have stopped putting the rugs in the bathroom! And do at least call your vet to ask if they want you to bring him in for a urine test.

Ramsey

If you can take the cat to the vet to test for any UTI he may have picked up. A new puppy is a big change in the household order. I don't know how you did the introduction with the 2 of them but usually it's best done gradually. If it is not a physical problem you may want to add a litter box or 2 to the house. Clean with a good enzymatic cleaner, everything the cat has urinated on. You can try the Feliway diffuser as well. It has been an enormous help in this household with one cat that was bent out of shape over a new dog in the house. I'll never be without one again. I have 4 cats and 2 dogs. Best of luck to you and congrats on the new puppy!

Ramsey answered on 8/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer