We have a neutered male kitten 10 mo. old &would like to adopt another. Should we get a male or female? Younger/Older?

Asked by Member 1038827 on Jun 27th 2011 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Try getting a female kitten around the same age so they can grow up together. I personally would not recommend getting another male. Just make sure that your female is fixed (even though your male is neutered). It is advantageous to have your female spayed ASAP. Best of luck with your kitty (and your new one should you decide to adopt another)!

well hes neutered so if u got a female you wouldnt have abies you should get a female cause some boys cats fight with others

Kyle

If he's already neutered and you'll be early-neutering the other cat as well gender really doesn't matter as much as the personalities of the the two cats and how well (slowly) they are introduced. I would just ask the shelter if they have some kittens his age or younger that seem to be submissive to other cats. You tend to get problems when the cats are introduced too fast, have vastly different energy levels, or the new cat decides it wants to be the alpha and the old cat isn't having any of it. With a submissive 3-9 month old kitten and lots of vigilance on your part you should be able to just find another kitten who speaks to your heart and make it work.

Adding a new member to the family should never be about just one member of the family's preferences, least of all when that family member can't actually tell you what he wants! Chances are unless you manage to pick out the bully of a litter he'll be just delighted to have a new playmate of any sort.

Kyle answered on 6/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kyle is absolutely right. I did the PetsMart adoptions for my animal rescue group for years, and found that people who adopted a cat based solely on sex, color or impulse were the most likely to return it. Speak frankly with the shelter or rescue. Tell them about the kitten you already have, your lifestyle, your home, etc. They should ask you lots of questions, not because they are being nosey, but because they know their cats and want to make a successful match. The cat they suggest may not be exactly what you are looking for, but chances are it will be the best fit in your home. The shelter/rescue should also have a liberal return policy and people available to answer your questions in a timely fashion. Taking a little time now to make the right match will save you lots of heartache later on.

Wilson

My male cat was one when I got my female kitten. They bonded after about a week and have been together ever since. Two males may try to fight for your attention, but an added female will surely make him the man of the house!

Wilson answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer