We have a ferral cat about 8-9 months old with a deformed paw that lives under our front porch. He will come by us to g

We have a ferral cat about 8-9 months old with a deformed paw that lives under our front porch. He will come by us to give him food but will not let us touch him. I think this is becaise i tried to catch him when he ws very young. Last week my mother noticed he was dragging his back hind legs. We planned to catch him in the morning but he took off during the night. We did not see him for a week and assumed he passed. Well he showed up yesterday afternoon looking like skin and bones. He is limping/ dragging his one hind leg. The paw on the injured leg just bends under when he walks on it. How can I help him or catch him?

Asked by Member 1119690 on Jul 9th 2012 Tagged ferralcat in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Bless you for wanting to help this poor guy. Trapping a truly "feral" or wild cat is not easy and can be downright dangerous. These cats can cause great injury and often carry diseases than can be passed to humans and other animals. If it were me, I would contact a local rescue or shelter and ask if they have any volunteers who work with feral cats. If you agree to vet the cat, they will probably send someone out to help you catch it. If he is not feral but just "stray", you can obtain a cage from your local police. They will explain how to bait it and where to place it. But be prepared for the fact that this poor guy may be beyond help and you may have a difficult decision to make. If not, you will incur veterinary costs and must be prepared to pay them. I'm not advocating ignoring the cat and letting nature take it's course, but be prepared to take responsibility for this kitty if you decide to try to help him.

kitty

You are a wonderful person for wanting to help this cat. I have delt with this sort of thing myslelf. A feral cat can be extreamly hard to catch. I however do not recomend calling a shelter. this cat could very well die just because the shelter "doesnt have the room". Cats can be tricked by their stomachs. Try taking out a bag of treats and leading them into a cat carrier. Or put his food in a cat carrier. While the cat is eating shut the door. Look onine for some non kill shelters near you and take him there, he will be welcomed with open arams! Hope this helped!

kitty answered on 7/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer