we asked a question about our cat and never got an answer back. he just died very suddenly and we are looking for answer

our cat got very thin in the face and neck but was otherwise very healthy. he did have a mole on his neck, is that normal for a cat? then on monday morning he just collapsed and died. he was only 11 yrs. old. i have a 15 yr. old who has never had a problem we just don't want this to happen to another cat if it is preventable. please let us know if you have any ideas.

Asked by Member 1144745 on Dec 12th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Batfink

Im very sorry for your loss, unfortunately, i did not answer because i did not have an answer to give, hopefully, your vet, can help you, give them a phone, book an app to chat about your concerns im sure they would be happy to help! hope your ok!

Batfink answered on 12/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buckwheat

I am truly sorry for your loss of your loved one. I can only offer wisdom learned the hard way (by sickness in my cat family) that cats hide their illness at least as well as humans do. One of my cats, Bart Simpson, was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism; my vet and I are trying drug therapy to regulate this condition. The reason I am mentioning this is that it took me months to realize that he also got very thin in the face, neck, and haunches. His body weight dropped from 14 pounds to 8 lbs. before I became alarmed and I am usually very good at sensing small changes in my surroundings. I am curious if he had recent bloodwork prior to his passing. Are there proactive steps you can take with your 15 yr old cat to have the peace of mind that you are doing everything humanly possible to insure his/her health? Like I admitted earlier, I have no tangible answers for your companion's passing but wish you well.

Buckwheat answered on 12/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's hard to guess what could have happened to your cat. I'm very sorry for your loss. I do know that we have a 13 yr. old cat who has become very thin recently. Our vet told us that it's common for cats, as they age, to develop hyperthyroidism. There are a number of reasons that a cat could lose weight. I also think that you might feel better if you discussed your cat's symptoms with your vet and maybe you could have a better understanding of what might have happened.