Violent cat - I don't want to put her down, but shes terrible, and the vet is very unsympathetic to my situation. Any su

I got my 9 month old kitten when she was 4 months old, and was a little skittish. Over the past few months, however, she has become violent. If you try and pet her, she backs away/swats/hisses and the cries. That broke my heart, but I could live with it. If thats how she wants to be, then fine. However, it has started to progress into violence. She has been actively attacking me and my roommate and his new kitten at all times of day and night (even when im sleeping). My vet keeps saying its a fear reaction, and refuses to believe when i say this is unprovoked. She has thus far bitten me, several of my friends, my roommate, both of my parents, my sister, the landlord, the superintendant, and the other kitten. I'm at my wits end. I love her, but I can't rehome her (I've tried, hoping someone would have a solution), and Im starting to see no alternative to putting her down. Please help.

Asked by Member 740460 on Sep 21st 2008 Tagged bitingscratchingviolenceeuthanizing in Aggression

Answers

TOBY

There are many sites on the internet which will explain how to retrain your cat. You need the time and patience to understand what you have done wrong in her socialization. Having a kitten brought into the situation has made a bad situation worse. Did you take the time to introduce them properly? It is vital to know how to integrate two cats or you will have constant wars on your hands. I suspect not which is one of the reasons for your problems. You must educate yourself before you just give up and have her put down. There are reasons she is acting the way she does and you need to address them and find out what they are. There is nothing wrong with your cat that you can't fix.

TOBY answered on 9/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I agree with Toby. Your cat obviously was not properly socialized. The addition of a new kitten added fuel to the fire. Your cat feels threatened and at a loss to know what to do, so she is striking out. She IS fearful that the new kitten will take her place in your home and heart, and if youve been spending lots of time ooo-ing and ahh-ing over the new kitten, that's made the situation worse. You will have to put the kitten in a room with a box and food and keep her separate from your cat until they are used to each other (could take a week or more). She CAN be socialized. You need to consult another vet if this one isn't helping you. But you need to listen to what the vet says and not determine that euthanasia is your only alternative. Rescue groups, who are used to dealing with out-of-control cats, can also help. Most are listed in your local phone book.

Bella (In Loving Memory)

We have several cats like that at the hospital I work in. We have had INCREDIBLE success with Feliway, a feline facial pheromone, combined with a transdermal drug comparable to prozac. It might sound extreme but its inexpensive and I've seen it take a cat that is impossible to work with without sedation and turn him into a lovable kitty who literally turns over in my arms for a belly rub!! Worth a shot in asking your vet in my opinion.

If your vet is unreceptive to you and your kitties issues I'd recommend finding a new one!

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 9/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

I've also heard good things about the pheromones Bella mentioned.

As far as introducing the cats together, it is a good idea to slowly introduce them. When I brought a new cat home, we started by letting them smell each other through a cracked door. This progressed to supervised visits before we finally let them roam free. Also, to break up a cat fight, toss a soft (not too dense) pillow on them. The cats will scatter.

Good luck!

Mrrphh

I'm unclear about the timeline. You got your 9 mo kitten when she was 4 mos. So you've had her for 5 mos. But you say "over the past few months" she has become violent. Hmmm. To me, the five mos you have had her are pretty much "the past few months."

So it sounds to me like you've made some pretty unfortunate moves with your new kitty. Perhaps you are an inexperienced owner or haven't been spending much time alone with her. Perhaps you've had too many friends over too often for her to get properly settled in, or too much loud music. Some kittens can adjust to that, some can't.

But you are clearly a responsible and caring person or you wouldn't have written here. So I very much urge you to read, read, read - right from the beginning - about caring for cats. And that will give you some great ideas and your own answers.

Amazing rewards await you. A pawesome community awaits your next note.

Mrrphh answered on 9/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pepper

Look on the internet for a cat behaviorist. If there's not one in your area, they can do phone consults.

I have a cat much like yours. She was trapped when she was about 2 months old. She hisses & spits when I approach her. I started letting her be but she was getting worse. My vet said to handle her more. I see an improvement by doing that but she may never really be friendly. If you don't work with her, then you basically have an indoor feral cat. It sounds like it's all fear-based and at this point, you may be over your head without getting professional help. I'm considering it myself. On thing that does seem to help is clicker training. I purchased a clicker training kit for cats on Amazon. It doesn't teach your cat to like you but rather to respond to you in specific ways. www.clickertraining.com

Pepper answered on 9/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sweet Mist of Ariel

Get a vet that will be more helpful. Medication can be very helpful!
Once you have a good vet and meds you may need to confine her to a small room to start working on trust..

Sweet Mist of Ariel answered on 9/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Don't put her down! has she been spayed?
she might be pregnant. If she has been spayed, (I just gave this answer to
someone else), she might have a
"false pregnancy" or some other
illness the vet did not detect.
1. Find a more sympathetic vet.
2. You may also call 1-800-KITTY-DR
(1-800-548-8937) Cornell University
Feline Consultation service - they will
charge you about $55 on your credit card,
but it's worth it. Hope they can help you &
give you some ideas you can bring to your
next vet. Good luck, hang in there!

LOVE MUFFIN (deseased)

We adopted a full grown kitty that hissed and growled and was mean to our other cats. I found out that she had always been that way. Instead of her real name, Love Muffin, we kept her nickname, Butt Muffin. For some reason, the original owners said that she hated women and only liked men. She would only get up and cuddle on my husbands lap and that was better than nothing for sure! It took a whole year to see a total change in her. I turned her hissing at me and growling into a game and would clap when she would try to attack my hand and go, "Yeah Muffn"!! She would look bewildered when I would do that! So, we developed a game called, "speak to the hand". Now, she sleeps on the bed with me and even crawls up and lays on my lap. I would not suggest the same kind of therapy for your kitty, turning the tables on her and rewarding her for bad behavior like I did my Muffin. Please don't put your kjtty down. If you cannot help her, rehome her with someone where she will be the only cat.

LOVE MUFFIN (deseased) answered on 9/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Missy (In Memoriam)

Feliway is an absolutely perfect solution. I have used it in a number of cases. Shower your kitty with love. It is not ok to live with her backing away and hissing at you when you try to pet her. Make sure that she understands who is the person and who is the cat. Do what her mommy would have done--scruff her. Hold her, and when she bites, scruff her and say "no, no". When she is attacking the new kitty, calmly pick her up by the scruff, say "no, no" and then pet her. Cats actually relax more when scruffed, and it lets them know who is in control. My cat Max used to attack other cats like this, and when I taught him to seek attention from me instead, attacks dwindled. Give the two kitties treats together. Let your violent kitty see that eating peacefully together is a good thing. While it seems like you are rewarding her after she has been bad, you are really teaching her how to obtain positive attention from you.

Missy (In Memoriam) answered on 9/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer