Truffles

To adopt or not to adopt stray? Advice needed!!!

I started feeding a stray cat 10 days ago, he was starving, skinny and needy, and since then he has been hanging out by our apartment. Have done everything to locate owners - he's a stray.
Today I noticed a very large, infected wound under his tail. I took him to our vet immediately.

-He's a very friendly cat, 5-7 yrs and clearly used to people.
-No chip, no tattoo.
-He should be able to recover from his wound and otherwise seems in good health (blood work will be done)

I'm in a country with a HUGE amount of strays. I feel that his best chance would be with me but I need advice as I 1.) can't offer him to go outside, and 2.) already have a 2 yr old girl. I've let her sniff my hands after petting him intensely and she just sniffs, no hiss.

I could try to find a shelter but I/vet doubt he'd find a home very easily. I feel that he's chosen me and I find him so gorgeous. Would it be selfish to try and adopt him slowly even if he'd have to compromise some freedom? What's the best???

Asked by Truffles on Aug 27th 2014 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

He has chosen you. Before you claim him I would really try to find the owner by posting flyers, found ads, and local vet clinics. If nobody claims him, then take him to your vet, get him neutered and cleaned up, and make him an inside cat. Be prepared to deal with some spraying when he gets antsy again for the outdoors. Only give him water until you're sure that he'll be staying with you. Remember, adopting is for life, so you must be 110% sure of your decision. Thanks for considering! ^_^

Maui

what did you decide?

Maui answered 3 weeks, 4 days ago. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer