Nala

Three month old kitten pawing at its mouth?

My three month old kitten is constantly pawing at the side of her mouth and licking her "lips" after she's done eating. It's not the normal bathing routine that cats have after they're done dining. She acts as if something's stuck in her mouth and she's trying to solve the problem. I've tried to look and don't see anything stuck. She's done this since I've had her (saved her when she was 6 weeks old).

Could she be having her adult kitty teeth come in? Or is there something wrong with her mouth?

Asked by Nala on Oct 23rd 2012 in Dental Care

Answers

Unfortunately, the only one who can tell if your kitty has dental issues is a vet who know's what they're looking for. It's quite possible she's teething. She could also have an oral infection. I have to say though, that my husky/shepherd/dobie mix, Jessie, will also paw at her face and has done so since I adopted her. She will do it when I cuddle her and also when she's got an itchy around her muzzle. Take her into the vet as it's getting time for her to be spayed if she isn't already and also for vaccinations if she hasn't had them. A vet knows what they're looking for and can help you out.