Thinking of shaving our persian???

Ok. i admit it. Our persian cat pasha is pretty unhealty, in the meaning of ticks and stuff. Anyway, my moms about to get marryed maybe to a guy named dave whos allergic ta cats. hes gettimng an allergy shot. luckily
but, were doing this for pashas comfort. hes always hot and it might be easier to locate parasites . does anyone think a shave is bad??? \ps.. wher not gonna shave him bald lol just a little trim

Asked by Member 601834 on Jul 28th 2008 Tagged should_we_shave_a_persian in Breeds

Best Answer

I agree with the previous poster that, aside from flea/tick treatments and shaving, educated grooming on a regular basis (the advice about bristle brushes being useless is correct) is of the utmost importance in helping a Persian keep her fur from matting. The occasional bath will also help with getting out dead and loose hair and make Kitty feel happier to be clean (no matter how much she hates the bath itself!). I have three Maine Coons, which I know from cat shows are much lower maintenance grooming-wise than Persians, but they do take more effort than the regular short haired cat. My standard advice is, no matter how much you may like the look of a long haired cat, or how dearly you fall in love with a long haired kitten, you shouldn't adopt one unless you're willing to put in the extra time and effort for proper grooming. This is not just a matter of appearance, but related to health concerns as well.

Lola answered on Jul 30th.

Answers

Atrus

Persians, being stocky and incredibly fluffy, should really never be allowed to roam outsides unsupervised (I'm assuming that's how he got ticks?). They do very poorly as outdoor cats and should always be kept indoors, if only because of the horrible matting of their fur that can result, and also because of the various dangers that decrease all outdoor cats' lifespans.

Your cat should also receive flea/tick prevention treatments and if he has a bad tick problem should have a vet visit, since they can also transmit diseases.

As for the fur, please Google "Lion Cut" and look at some pictures

This is a somewhat common cut for Persians or other longhaired cats in the warmer months to keep them comfortable and lower maintenance. If your cat's fur is very bad, this might be the best way to go. But please, in the future, flea/tick PREVENTION is much better than trying to find a way to fix it after the fact.

Atrus answered on 7/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Well, congrats on your mom's upcoming marriage. Anyway, when I wanted to have my Golden Retriever shaved, the groomer said don't do it because their fur actually helps to keep them cool if you can believe that. They just shaved a strip down her stomach so when she lays on the tile or cement it cools her off. Lots of cats get shaved, though. If she has ticks/fleas and "stuff", then she needs to get some Frontline for CATS before your whole house is full of those little bugs and you start getting bitten. And, if you are going to shave him, I'd get it done by a groomer. Pascha might not be too friendly if YOU try to do it yourself.

When I was a kid we had a persian cat and we had her trimmed at the start of every summer. Her fur was clipped to about 3/4-1 inch all over and it kept her cool and able to groom herself better. We lived in the UK so if you live anywhere really hot ask the groomer how much fur she needs to protect her from the sun.

As the other posters say get a groomer to do it and get her Frontline to help take care of the fleas/ticks.

And congratulations to your Mom

Buckaroo (Adopted!)

I agree with Atrus on many points. I should also add that without a through house clean, especially carpet if you have it, the lion cut will do little good. You can also try using an ari purifier, I know people that have real success using it. Just remember it has to be cleaned often to really work.

Buckaroo (Adopted!) answered on 7/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

TROUBLE

HELLO! My family has had Persians since 1970s - all INDOOR cats, though when they come back from the VET, they tend to actually HAVE fleas ... then worms because of the fleas ...ANYWAY, SHAVING: ALL of our Persians have had a shave at least once in their lifetimes, some more often than others. Yes, the LION CUT is a nicer look. Just realize kitty will look VERY SMALL!! :0) . The mats can actually hurt their skin, especially if it is very tight to their skin. Ours would usually get the worst cases on: haunches, pantaloons, underbellies and their ruff, as food gets caught there often. WIth Persians, the best thing to try to do,really, is brush them DAILY. On our Himilyan (and MAINE COONS) I use a "rake," which are hard to find, but get the undercoat very well. Combs are good, bristle brushes useless, "slickers" OK, but need to be careful with the wire not to dig in deep. Kitty will be a bit "skittish" & maybe cold at first. GOOD LUCK, she'll be OK & will get used to being groomed.

TROUBLE answered on 7/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer