There is a stray cat outdoors that has been living in our backyard for a long time. What should I do? I love the cat

OK, I am facing a very big dilemma. I have a stray cat in my backyard that has been coming here for about 3 years now. When we have leftover food, we feed it and some days put out water when we can. We have grown a big relationship with the cat but we cannot adopt it. There is a cat rescue lady in the area that has sort of a colony she could take it to where it is fed good food, taken care of in a nice barn and given shots and medical trtment. If my cat is happy outdoors, I don't want to trap it and take it out of its habitat but at the same time, I am currently moving to a different state so I also don't want the cat to live outside without us and maybe get diseases, hurt, sick, etc.... Is my best bet to give it to this lady to be taken care of at the colony? I just want the cat to be happy. Keep in mind I live in NJ and it is currently almost 0 degrees outside so I am guessing it would be safer, warmer, and better taken care of at a colony. I don't want it to get diseased outdoors.

Asked by Member 1151651 on Jan 24th 2013 Tagged stray, cat, outside in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

take the cat to the vet and if the vet says his healthy take him in your house and care for him

You say that you love this cat. Why can't you adopt it & try to make it an indoor cat? There are things you can buy to keep the cat safer outside if he/she doesn't want to stay inside. Google something along the lines of safe outdoor cat enclosures. You could always find a no-kill shelter to take the cat to. Since you seem to have a bond with this cat, I'm afraid that you may regret giving this cat to someone else. Please think about it before you make a decision.

I know how you feel. When I trapped Izzie 5 years ago, I also trapped a sibling of his. I kept Izzie, but let the Animal Warden take the sibling. I don't know what happened to the kitten, but I do know I will NEVER forgive myself or stop regretting not adopting Izzie sibling, too. When you started feeding this cat, you claimed responsibility for it. You don't say why you can't adopt the cat, but if it's truly and honestly impossible for you to bring the cat with you, your only option is to take it to this lady. I'm sure the cat would be happier with you if you could find some way to adopt it, but to just leave it behind to fend for itself in your yard is inhumane. I know that your heart was in the right place when you began feeding the cat, but in the future, you may not want to take on this responsibility and start putting food out.